Hair rigs

mikench

Reaction score
Which rigs are favourites , hair rigs to which you add your own bait stop, banded, bait stop or bayonet!

I appreciate that some are better than others for specific tasks but I tend to use banded the least as some bands( Preston) are or were rubbish!

Does a band put a fish off ? Bayonets I rarely use as they are best suited to boilies rather than meat!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Due to my lazy nature I prefer banded hairs, I can use them for meat, corn and pellet. Some brands do seem to perish with age, just something to put up with.

bracket

Reaction score
I keep it simple and only use a lasso hair rig. Pete.

Reaction score
If I use a band on the hair rig I use a drennan,they are a bit dear but pretty good for ruggedness in use,but for most I like to use the maver hair rig tyer,using a fox pellet stop,but that's me...

Just to add I mostly use the band through a pre-drilled bait,pulling it through with a baiting needle.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
After a recommendation on here I've been trying to tie the lasso, unfortunately for me it's impossible for me to form a lasso.
It's OK though bands are good and have always worked. Bayonets are good for mini boilies and wafters.

steve2

Reaction score
I use Drennan Pushstops when I need to hair rig. Also useful if you need to hair rig a worm.

bracket

Reaction score
rayner. There are a multitude of ways to tie a lasso knot. The method I use I find to be the easiest. I have made a home video this afternoon for you. Used the web cam on my laptop, so apologies for the quality and performance. I am sure if you run it a few times you will get the hang of it. For 8mm pellets I set the loop at 10mm diameter, using a 10mm knitting needle. When tying the hook with a knotless knot, if you have the lasso loop knot level with the point of the hook as you tie it, when you tighten on to a 8mm pellet the hair rig length will be about right. You may have to fiddle about with this dependant on the type of hook you use. Hope this helps you. Pete.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I use various methods but one of my favourites (especially for barbel/carp) is tying a KK but with a very small ‘O’ ring tight to the rear of the hook shank. You can then tie a hair (using any old thin line) through a drilled hole in the pellet/boilie with the loose end tied to the ‘O’ ring. This gives you the option to changing your hair length as and when without changing a fixed hook/hair. Also saves on using stops/bands/baiting needles.

mikench

Reaction score
Rawelle: Hair rigs

Well done Pete! I enjoyed that and reckon I can do it! A bloke called Spielberg asked me for your details!:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
Re: Rawelle: Hair rigs

For mini boilies I like a home made spike on a hair. I use old eyed hooks that I snip the bend off just leaving the shank.

Big boilies I like to use a conventional hair but use an Avid corn stop. They have a hook on the back and are very secure and negate the weight of the hook.

If I am getting trouble with rudd and roach etc pulling the boilie about and tangling the hair round the hook I like the method Barbelboi mentioned. It resets itself and does not tangle.

I tend to use those bands loose on the hook and not on a hair. Good for roach when they want small hard pellets.

bracket

Reaction score
Re: Rawelle: Hair rigs

Well done Pete! I enjoyed that and reckon I can do it! A bloke called Spielberg asked me for your details!:rolleyes:

mikench. I'm not too familiar with Spielberg. Now Carlsberg is an entirely different matter. Pete.

dave m

Reaction score
I tie using soft braid, a hair loop followed by a simple knotless knot.
I used to use a sliding ring as a blowback rig but it has now evolved to have the hook pass through the braid so it works just like a blowback rig but without any additional clutter.
It works well.

20180606_064321-1.jpg
20180624_222007.jpg

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
rayner. There are a multitude of ways to tie a lasso knot. The method I use I find to be the easiest. I have made a home video this afternoon for you. Used the web cam on my laptop, so apologies for the quality and performance. I am sure if you run it a few times you will get the hang of it. For 8mm pellets I set the loop at 10mm diameter, using a 10mm knitting needle. When tying the hook with a knotless knot, if you have the lasso loop knot level with the point of the hook as you tie it, when you tighten on to a 8mm pellet the hair rig length will be about right. You may have to fiddle about with this dependant on the type of hook you use. Hope this helps you. Pete.

Thanks for the video reply Sir.
Unfortunately these video links that some members put on the forum just show a blank page apart from the message at the top of the page.

I really should have mention when I said it's impossible for me to form a lasso.
Trouble is I have difficulty with the fingers on my right hand. With the help of a Maver hair rig tyer I'm OK with knotless, I can tie with one hand. The lasso is definitely out of the question.

Philip

Reaction score
I use a few different ways.

When I was fishing the pressured South East I was (and still am) a big fan of basic long braided hairs with a simple hair stop. I think they add a subtlety to a presentation and also importantly help to separate the bait from the hook when its in the fishes mouth which will certainly help the effectiveness of any self hooking rigs. It worked really well. Everyone else was on these bizarre rigs with all sorts of D rings and sliding bits of metal and whatnot but the long hairs just nailed them time and time again.

Nowadays I am fishing for less pressured fish and especially on Rivers my outlook is less on subtly and more on keeping the rig fishing effectively for as long as possible. Long hairs on a river full of other fish are bad news and your asking for a tangle as the current and Bream mess with your bait.

For that reason on the river I now use things like bait screws that keep the bait tight to the back of the hook. Properly setup its impossible for the bait to twist round the hook point. Fished with a relatively stiff hooklink you can literally screw the rig into a ball and chuck it in and it will still end up fishing correctly.

For pellets & things like dog biscuits I use bait bands allot. I dont like banding a bait and then slipping the hook through the band. Thats asking for the hook to lay flat to the bait and mask the point. I prefer to tie the band to some sort of hair to avoid that happening.
As for bands putting off fish I caught a fish last year that I posted on the HDYGO thread that actually took a bait band…I had left the unbaited rod complete with hook and band dangling in the margins and it was taken..the fish was fairly hooked in the mouth.

mikench

Reaction score
Extenda stops are a useful addition to your tacklebox and quicker to use that changing the rig or the hair.

john step

Reaction score
Forgot to mention in my earlier post. On one water where the roach and rudd are a goodly size they tangle a long hair incessantly. I dont want to catch them on carp tackle.
I resorted to using coated braid without stripping the coating off the braid for the hair. It hooks up OK . It is sometimes difficult finding hooks with larger than normal eyes however.
The other alternative is stiff flouro with a large loop at the swivel to give plenty of movement.

Philip

Reaction score
Its interesting John as I used braids and then coated braids allot in the past plus stuff links with the loops and so on. One of my Favourites ways to fish it was to strip a tiny bit back just above the hook eye and on the hair but still with some coating left in the middle where it went through the hook eye to create a line Aligner type of effect. However it was all quite fiddly and the coating would inevitably crack at some point along its length after a bit of use and cause a hinged elbow type of effect so you had to change it.

Nowadays I have gone full circle and just gone back to using Mono as the hooklength. Its supple but still has enough stiffness to avoid tangles and does away with needing to tie loops or strip anything back and works well enough. I guess I am probably getting lazy as I get older :)