Unbelievable

stripey

Reaction score
For the past 3 seasons i have been a bailiff for a local club,and as luck as had it i have not had any bad experiances with poachers although i have had to ask a couple of them to stop fishing and leave the stretch of river, earlier this season the head bailiff and the rest of us thought a free club ticket should be given to all our club bailiffs, so this was put to the committee, they came back with a suggestion that all bailiffs should police their respect stretches at least every 10 days , which we all agreed with and actioned straight away,5 weeks ago we all got a text from Head bailiff saying that at this years ticket would be free and to be collected after this years AGM,last week we all got a text from the head bailiff saying that the committee had changed there stance and no free tickets would be issued, the Head bailiff myself and one other have now resigned all bailiff duties and 2 more are considering doing so, do any of you on FM do a bailiffs job and do you get a free club ticket .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a disgraceful attitude, are there bailiffs on the committee?

john r stockburn

Reaction score
For the past 3 seasons i have been a bailiff for a local club,and as luck as had it i have not had any bad experiances with poachers although i have had to ask a couple of them to stop fishing and leave the stretch of river, earlier this season the head bailiff and the rest of us thought a free club ticket should be given to all our club bailiffs, so this was put to the committee, they came back with a suggestion that all bailiffs should police their respect stretches at least every 10 days , which we all agreed with and actioned straight away,5 weeks ago we all got a text from Head bailiff saying that at this years ticket would be free and to be collected after this years AGM,last week we all got a text from the head bailiff saying that the committee had changed there stance and no free tickets would be issued, the Head bailiff myself and one other have now resigned all bailiff duties and 2 more are considering doing so, do any of you on FM do a bailiffs job and do you get a free club ticket .

it is a "no brainer" , they want free policing of their waters and you to take all the potential risks for what ?

edited to say ; what are the club fees per annum and how many days are expected to be present as a bailiff , once every ten days over how many months ? TELL THEM TO SHOVE IT

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
we all got a text from the head bailiff saying that the committee had changed there stance and no free tickets would be issued,

I take it that the committee don't get a free ticket?

One of my clubs gives all head bailiffs a free ticket plus it shuts some waters for all bailiffs to get together for a match and BBQ. Seems the right thing to do to pay them back for their work.

trotter2

Reaction score
I would say yes,unless the club is in need of the funds,how much is a ticket?

stripey

Reaction score
What a disgraceful attitude, are there bailiffs on the committee?

The Head Bailiff was on the committee but has resigned, he used to get a free ticket as do all committee members, seems that their work is more important than bailiffs.

stripey

Reaction score
it is a "no brainer" , they want free policing of their waters and you to take all the potential risks for what ?

edited to say ; what are the club fees per annum and how many days are expected to be present as a bailiff , once every ten days over how many months ? TELL THEM TO SHOVE IT

45£ per annum, police waters every 10 days for duration of river season.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You should put it to the membership that the committee isn’t fit for purpose and all should be replaced, that is of course if you have willing volunteers.

Keith M

Reaction score
In both of the clubs that I belong to things such as this are bought up and voted for at the clubs AGM (or at an EGM if this wasn’t possible); then the decision is discussed in detail by the members and their committee and a decision is voted on by all.

Isn’t this how these decisions should be made in a club environment?

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm on a club committee and act as a bailiff. However, no one on the committee gets a free ticket, nor do bailiffs. The only freebies given are to former committee members that served for many years.

stripey

Reaction score
Thats a fair point Sam,but the section i was policing and 2 other sections are Burton on Trent town sections
and there are a lot of strange sorts about,and what with knife carrying on the increase i think there should be an incentive to do the job, also there is the fuel costs to take into consideration.

terry m

Reaction score
Personally I would tell the committee to get their boots on and start patrolling the banks.

A £45 ticket is almost nothing, their attitude here sums up the value that they place on your efforts.

Philip

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but whats the right number of Baliffs ? ...there has to be a tipping point when the number of Baliffs becomes self defeating if they are all given a free ticket.

Reaction score
That's dependant on if you want to stop poachers encroaching,which again affects the membership of said club,we all know there are lots of people prepared to poach,rather than pay...

mikench

Reaction score
Who'd be a bailiff? I was asked,believe it or not, for a local PAAS water and initially said I was interested( Out of perceived public duty) and I didn't hear further . They must have changed their minds.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I am a bailiff for one of my clubs. I get a free licence, if I paid for it the cost would be £49, I go out at least 2 to 3 times a week, doing between 15 or 20 miles each time, I do not get expenses, so in a short space of time due to the petrol I have put in the car I could have paid for my licence. We also have to ask for their EA card, it’s a club rule, and if we are fishing and members turn up on the water to fish,we are expected to check their cards as well.