Redmire Pool

barbelboi

Reaction score
After Bob Richards, a local trader with access to the pool, caught his record fish in ’51 (31.04) it was gaffed/killed as was common at the time and he required it to be stuffed. By fate he met with BB who recommended that he contact DW to stuff it for him. To cut a long story short DW made a good job on the fish and managed to get the location from him, wrote letters to the owners, and eventually managed to arrange access.

flightliner

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Redmire, beyond the press stories over the years and the homage in A Passion For Angling. I know it’s a real place with a real angling history – but I’m inclined to think its importance, if it has some, is in the realm of angling’s collective imagination, as a symbol of certain angling values. The secret, atmospheric pool…the huge fish, uncaught and barely fished for…the intrepid band of anglers breaking new ground, inventing the tackle and the methods. And so on. It’s a great story, and I don’t knock it. Surely there’s a bit of all coarse anglers that relates to these “mist-rising-from- the-lily pad-covered lake” scenes. There’s a fair bit of nostalgia and the retro-fashion for the traditional in there too, but, as someone has said already, cherishing a bit of heritage is more appealing than putting some newly-created super-water at the centre of the world of fishing. Even so, I can’t imagine myself ever being interested enough to want to visit or fish there, any more than I’m likely to begin dressing as an Edwardian gentleman and fishing with self-consciously ancient gear. I hope Redmire Pool has sympathetic owners and is well looked after, but I’m much more concerned about whether my local waters will survive and thrive.
Kev, much of what you said above kind of mirrors what I was saying earlier. I never want to go or see the place except in my minds eye !