Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  49
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: Lesser known rods

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Ok, i've never seen one before, looks like a nice rod though, did you get shut?
    I gave it to a mate's lad as a starter rod. He never goes, so I wish I'd kept it!

From all I've seen when looking at them, the Abu Suveran rods from circa 2000 appear have three distinct incarnations. Two versions look indentical bar the palm swell (Grip Fit) reel seat. The third has different graphics, like the feeder rod in Peter's post.

I've been chasing one of the 16-18' float rods for quite some time. Finally got one and am waiting for it to arrive. They are reputed to be fairly pokey, which should be spot on for the deep gravel pit carp and tench. The downside is that they are also supposed to be a bit weighty, but I've no intention of using it on the river, so it'll live its life on rests.

I think I may have seen that on the bay and was tempted but too long for me! I hope you like it Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I think I may have seen that on the bay and was tempted but too long for me! I hope you like it Sam!
    There were also two thirteen foot Suverans on at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    From all I've seen when looking at them, the Abu Suveran rods from circa 2000 appear have three distinct incarnations. Two versions look indentical bar the palm swell (Grip Fit) reel seat. The third has different graphics, like the feeder rod in Peter's post.

I've been chasing one of the 16-18' float rods for quite some time. Finally got one and am waiting for it to arrive. They are reputed to be fairly pokey, which should be spot on for the deep gravel pit carp and tench. The downside is that they are also supposed to be a bit weighty, but I've no intention of using it on the river, so it'll live its life on rests.
    Hi. The 16/18 is quite powerful and rather heavy as you say. I found mine to be too uncomfortable to hold for river fishing which is why it's lain in my garage for nearly all its "life". I'd have to dig it out, but from memory I don't think the longer rod had the palm swell style hand grip that the shorter float rods and feeder rods had.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

I still very occasionally (about once or twice a year) use my old 18/20ft Shakespeare Annex Excel Float rod if I’m fishing a particular swim on my local stream and I want to trot a float immediately below the tip at the edge of a far bank gulley where the better Chub and Roach often hold up.

It is rated for lines up to 4lb (or slightly more) so isn't really beefy enough to handle decent sized Carp or Barbel and it’s a little bit heavy to hold for a long time but is just the job for this swim and a couple of other swims too..

I originally bought this rod back in the late nineties when I was fishing a couple of team matches on waters which had 12 to 14ft deep water close up to the near bank, and I didn’t like using sliding floats. I won a couple of these matches using this rod and our team won the match series that year.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 07-05-2019 at 19:47.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910