Lesser known rods

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Abu don't seem to get much recognition. I think the suveran rods were reputed to be quite good.
I know the suveran reels were superb, I had two and the fool I am, I sold them!

nottskev

Reaction score
Abu don't seem to get much recognition. I think the suveran rods were reputed to be quite good.
I know the suveran reels were superb, I had two and the fool I am, I sold them!

Abu rods..... do you remember a series about 2000 which had futuristic palm-swell handles supposed to transmit more feel, and "special" rings? I think Roy Marlow was their consultant at the time. I bought one - a little 8' + quiver. It was quite powerful - not a wand, for sure - and aimed at the growing commie market. I got it for fishing overgrown bits of the Dane. They're all making these short feeder rods now, so I suppose it was quite far-sighted at the time. I gave it to a mate's lad as a starter rod, but he never goes so I wish I hadn't.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I bought a new Abu Suveran 12’ feeder rod about 8 years ago.
It is a very well designed and finished piece of kit. I like the shaping on the butt section and the proper spigot joints..

]
B87452-D0-329-E-44-B6-B16-E-442-E0-E22-B2-B4.jpg

6787-D1-E9-81-C1-436-C-BE71-3-FA91-B00996-C.jpg

It’s quite beefy and I use it for barbel fishing on the Colne. It’s best use is for casting a heavy feeder, I can really punch it out on this rod.
Only cost £95..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Abu rods..... do you remember a series about 2000 which had futuristic palm-swell handles supposed to transmit more feel, and "special" rings? I think Roy Marlow was their consultant at the time. I bought one - a little 8' + quiver. It was quite powerful - not a wand, for sure - and aimed at the growing commie market. I got it for fishing overgrown bits of the Dane. They're all making these short feeder rods now, so I suppose it was quite far-sighted at the time. I gave it to a mate's lad as a starter rod, but he never goes so I wish I hadn't.

I don't remember them Kev, unless they were the suverans?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought a new Abu Suveran 12’ feeder rod about 8 years ago.
It is a very well designed and finished piece of kit. I like the shaping on the butt section and the proper spigot joints..

]
B87452-D0-329-E-44-B6-B16-E-442-E0-E22-B2-B4.jpg

6787-D1-E9-81-C1-436-C-BE71-3-FA91-B00996-C.jpg

It’s quite beefy and I use it for barbel fishing on the Colne. It’s best use is for casting a heavy feeder, I can really punch it out on this rod.
Only cost £95..

That does look well made!

sam vimes

Reaction score
From all I've seen when looking at them, the Abu Suveran rods from circa 2000 appear have three distinct incarnations. Two versions look indentical bar the palm swell (Grip Fit) reel seat. The third has different graphics, like the feeder rod in Peter's post.

I've been chasing one of the 16-18' float rods for quite some time. Finally got one and am waiting for it to arrive. They are reputed to be fairly pokey, which should be spot on for the deep gravel pit carp and tench. The downside is that they are also supposed to be a bit weighty, but I've no intention of using it on the river, so it'll live its life on rests.

mikench

Reaction score
I think I may have seen that on the bay and was tempted but too long for me! I hope you like it Sam!:)

rob48

Reaction score
From all I've seen when looking at them, the Abu Suveran rods from circa 2000 appear have three distinct incarnations. Two versions look indentical bar the palm swell (Grip Fit) reel seat. The third has different graphics, like the feeder rod in Peter's post.

I've been chasing one of the 16-18' float rods for quite some time. Finally got one and am waiting for it to arrive. They are reputed to be fairly pokey, which should be spot on for the deep gravel pit carp and tench. The downside is that they are also supposed to be a bit weighty, but I've no intention of using it on the river, so it'll live its life on rests.

Hi. The 16/18 is quite powerful and rather heavy as you say. I found mine to be too uncomfortable to hold for river fishing which is why it's lain in my garage for nearly all its "life". I'd have to dig it out, but from memory I don't think the longer rod had the palm swell style hand grip that the shorter float rods and feeder rods had.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still very occasionally (about once or twice a year) use my old 18/20ft Shakespeare Annex Excel Float rod if I’m fishing a particular swim on my local stream and I want to trot a float immediately below the tip at the edge of a far bank gulley where the better Chub and Roach often hold up.

It is rated for lines up to 4lb (or slightly more) so isn't really beefy enough to handle decent sized Carp or Barbel and it’s a little bit heavy to hold for a long time but is just the job for this swim and a couple of other swims too..

I originally bought this rod back in the late nineties when I was fishing a couple of team matches on waters which had 12 to 14ft deep water close up to the near bank, and I didn’t like using sliding floats. I won a couple of these matches using this rod and our team won the match series that year.

Keith

Last edited: