Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lesser known rods

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their comments! To rephrase the question which older rod from any company do you wish you had kept or had now which is as good as contemporary rods. This may be a very old rod or one from say Shakespeare in the last 20 years.

This may be a rod you still have and use to the exclusion of more modern equivalents.
    I have plenty of older rods that I have no interest in trying to better, but that's because they are for things that I currently do little of (mainly any kind of legering (tip rods, carp rods, barbel rods and Avon rods) or commie rods).

The only older float rods I use with any regularity are Normarks and Shimano Aerocasts. Once in a while I might get nostalgic and take an old Daiwa Matchwinner, but I'm under no illusion that I don't have better. It's not necessarily the case that I don't believe old blanks can be excellent. However, I hate sliding rod bands and older rings often aren't as good as they could be. Unfortunately, the prospect of taking an old rod and updating the reel seat and rings away from the originals borders on criminal for me.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Milo rods. I've got four of the 13' float rods, my favourite being the New Era III Superlite. As the name suggests it''s very light and nicely balanced for light line float fishing. Like some other brands their availability and distribution was sketchy, especially after their involvement with Keenets ceased. The only decent stockist that I occasionally visited was Fisherman's Friend on the west side of Birmingham and the top range rods (and poles) were a delight to handle.
    The Rive rods, as mentioned above, are very nice. I've got two of the rive-rwaggler "light" models which are forgiving enough to rarely bump dace and roach when they are feeding shallow and hitting the bait hard.

Two older rods in my collection by lesser-known makers and are both excellent rods. A Kevlar Avon by Graham Philips signed made by Paul Boote and a Tony Fordham hand made Barbel Trotting rod. Have had them both from new and taken plenty of fish on them.

Twelve years ago I bought secondhand a DAM New Dimension 14ft match rod, the rod I would guess is around 30 years old. I use it for still water roach fishing because it is a bit too heavy for trotting. However; it is a quality blank with a lovely soft action, a superb rod.

One rod I wish I still had was a Tri-Cast Legacy Extender 13'-15'.
    While weighing in at a match, a heard of bullocks knocked over my holdall which was lent against a wall and trampled it!!!
    At the next match it came out as a 6 piece rod! Sob!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Twelve years ago I bought secondhand a DAM New Dimension 14ft match rod, the rod I would guess is around 30 years old. I use it for still water roach fishing because it is a bit too heavy for trotting. However; it is a quality blank with a lovely soft action, a superb rod.
    Nice rod - I had a 13' which I bought on the strength of how good my older 12' Quickstick was. As you say, not the lightest but a mellow action. It came to a sticky end under a passer-by's big feet, but the butt section (or at least part of it) lives on as a dolly butt that gives me a 15' option on a Tri-cast 17' Finesse. I hate to waste a good handle.

I had a rod bought for my 21st (yes I can remember that far back) by my sandwich maker. It was glass and 14 foot and went under the name of something like Blue flash by Sealey I think. It was truly awful and I struggled with it for quite some time as it was that or a heavy old cane rod. It was heavy with the action of a 14 foot piece of rope!
    I kept quiet so as not to hurt or offend and it was eventually replaced quietly when funds permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I had a rod bought for my 21st (yes I can remember that far back) by my sandwich maker. It was glass and 14 foot and went under the name of something like Blue flash by Sealey I think. It was truly awful and I struggled with it for quite some time as it was that or a heavy old cane rod. It was heavy with the action of a 14 foot piece of rope!
    I kept quiet so as not to hurt or offend and it was eventually replaced quietly when funds permitted.
    Edgar Sealey Blue Match was the name and £13/5s in 1968, an expensive rod for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Edgar Sealey Blue Match was the name and £13/5s in 1968, an expensive rod for the time.
    Looking back its funny to remember how most of us managed with just one rod and one reel. Eventually I made a pike rod from a kit of which available widely.

With all those butties and delicious meals she has made for you Pete, I reckon she has more than made up for it!

I dread to think what my wife would buy me. Do Chanel make rods?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast