The price of catapult elastic,

Reaction score
I can't believe the price of spare catapult elastics,around 3-4 quid for many,I bought all the dedicated redicat elastic available many years ago and still have 11 lots,I have been on eBay and bought 2m of elastic to try for £4.76 post free,4m is £8.27,I will give it a try,2m equates to roughly seven catapults,this stuff comes in 4 or 5 grades,from extra light(what I bought)to extra strong.

mikench

Reaction score
There's a joke in there somewhere Alan if I could remember it! I cannot recall ever replacing my catapult elastic as a kid but the elastic on my ezfeeda and other conventional pults barely last 6 months of strenuous use coupled with uv rays! It always looks ok until you stretch it! Not cheap!

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
A spare from my local shop for a Drennan cost me three and a half quid this last week.
I normally get through at least 3 a year, including shortening the elastic a couple of times due to breakages.

Reaction score
I normally go through one to one and a half lots a year,mainly because lots of the time I hand feed,or pva bag it,or feeder fish,but I just think it's a rip off,after all its only a short length of rubber tube...

Reaction score
Call me pernickety,but I really like the old redicat design,where the elastic goes right through the hollow arms of the catty,also the pouch has a sleeve up both sides where the elastic passes,a v shaped piece of round plastic then pushes into the tubular elastic and through a hole in the base of the pouch,all this means it is REALLY tangle free and the pouch is always open,best design I've ever used,but others will have different preferences...

Molehill

Reaction score
As I also enjoy making catapults and target shooting with them (well, tin cans) in the garden, I get through a bit.
I ended up buying direct from China, bulk 10metres at a fraction of the UK price. I ordered up 3 different strengths so have plenty to last me out.
But I can't remember where it was from or give you a link, have to search for Dankung tubing.

Reaction score
Molehill might be able to give gen on actual strengths as to me if it's too powerful it's no real use for me....

Molehill

Reaction score
Will check mine tomorrow (just home from pub lunch/session). The figures given refer to inside diameter and outside diameter. Which then gives you the thickness (strength) of the elastic wall.
So 1745 has wall thickness of 28mil. Difference between 17 and 45.
I shall try better tomorrow when sober!

Molehill

Reaction score
Here's a couple of my home made fishing catapults, with Dankung tubes from China.
IMG_20190415_145826.jpg

I have in stock 3 different strengths of tube, so have tried what I have. The 2040 is the least powerfull, ok for short range maggots, the 1842 the best all round and the 1745 the most powerful. Also mess around with draw length and speed.
But impossible to recommend the best for someone else, as we all fish differently, different weights of bait, distances etc. I just made them for a bit of fun and utilised the elastic I had in stock.

Another picture showing the principal of the tubes and measurements. dankung tubes explained - Google Search

Would the theratube be like what is used on pole fishing?

Reaction score
Made very little sense to me,lol,obviously get the inside/outside diameter bit,but if the rubber is a strong grade it could fire a canonball,thanks for the help molehill,as you say it's what the individual wants from their catty that's important...

Reaction score
Well I ordered a length of elastic which came the other day,not what I wanted,too big a diameter(my own stupid fault,I guestimated 6mms and it needs to be smaller,which hopefully equates to slightly less strength),so ordered from a Chinese company and will have to wait a while,bloody expensive,99p a metre,94 if you buy 2m,post free,so if it's not the right option it won't break the bank,lol...

flightliner

Reaction score
As I also enjoy making catapults and target shooting with them (well, tin cans) in the garden, I get through a bit.
I ended up buying direct from China, bulk 10metres at a fraction of the UK price. I ordered up 3 different strengths so have plenty to last me out.
But I can't remember where it was from or give you a link, have to search for Dankung tubing.
I have Theraband gold on my "picklefork" catty, good stuff but as
Molehill says it's expensive stuff.
Some guys I know in the catapult scene switched over to some banding they found in a poundshop that was sold in a wide strip to be used as a kind of chest "expander" .
Not really suitable I know for angling as it would be fiddly to make it suit but looking around could find suitable alternatives?

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
I have Theraband gold on my "picklefork" catty, good stuff but as
Molehill says it's expensive stuff.
Some guys I know in the catapult scene switched over to some banding they found in a poundshop that was sold in a wide strip to be used as a kind of chest "expander" .
Not really suitable I know for angling as it would be fiddly to make it suit but looking around could find suitable alternatives?

Also have some theraband gold for my catties (not the fishing ones), I like it more than the tubes, sort of smoother? Not a very technical explanation....

I must set y range up in the garden now spring is here, been neglected and I do enjoy plinking a few cans, therapeutic like watching a float :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Wow this thread has really expanded!:rolleyes
Mike, if ever you get the chance to visit a catapult show or competition don't miss the opportunity.
I attended one in Sheffield and what an eye opener!!!
Those guys can hit a target time after time with surprising accuracy. Far better than I can ever do.
Nice guys too!
If you want to see some amazing shooting u tube "Gamskeeper John"

Molehill

Reaction score
If you want to see some amazing shooting u tube "Gamskeeper John"

I'll second that, he's great. I always reckoned that if every angler carried a decent catapult it wouldn't half shift those cormorants around. No need to hit them but they are great at scaring them off a water as you have the range :)