Very sad day.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've just had a call from Pat Gibson informing me that Derek very sadly passed away around 10am this morning after being taken very ill after midnight when he was rushed to the Northern general hospital by ambulance.
I'm sure that all of us here will be saddened by the news of his passing and to wish Pat and family all their best wishes at this sad and difficult time.
Derek was a most prolific poster on Fishing magic as well as being a mountain of knowledge that he was only to pleased to pass on, particularly with regards to pike where he was highly regarded in that particular field of Angling .
Rest in peace Derek!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
That is indeed very sad news. I only knew Derek through his posts on here but it was very clear what a thought provoking and interesting guy he was. There are fewer and fewer of Derek's experience & calibre around and we wont see their like again.

Philip

Reaction score
Very sad news. The big Pike are not hard to catch thread is one of the greats and testiment to his knowledge, experience and skill.

Condolences to his family.

RiP

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Truly the saddest news.

Derek was not only an excellent angler but a very constant contributor here in FM and always with thought provoking posts.

Through FM I came to know Derek as a friend and reading Mick’s post above fills me with sadness.

My sincere condolences go to Pat and all family and friends.

Rest In Peace old friend, you will be sorely missed.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
What devastating news! Derek will be sorely missed on here. Derek had a wealth of fishing knowledge especially on Pike and other predators, which he was always willing to share with us, and his posts were always interesting and thought provoking.

RIP Derek

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I never met Derek, but his posts on here were always interesting and credible.

Truly saddened by this news.

RIP Derek. You will be missed.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Very sad indeed , a very deep knowledge and understanding of predators , a real generosity in sharing that knowledge with others and genuinely a keen mind that was apparent every time he posted. My condolences to his family.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Very sad news indeed. Derek was an exceptional wealth of knowledge and an exceptionally nice person. My condolences to Pat and his family.
Rest in peace Derek....................

john step

Reaction score
Sad news indeed. I never met him but corresponded via FM a few times. He made lures which were works of art. I remember an accomplished lure making angler writing in Angling Times extolling his skills and thanking him for showing him how to make them.
Condolences to his family.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Truly devastating!
Where I live there is no opportunity to fish for pike. But his approach to them has helped me to improve my own predator fishing.
His thought provoking posts on why we fish has always forced me to question myself.

My sincerest condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

God bless

Lakhyaman

The bad one

Reaction score
Always a very sad day when we lose one of our own who has contributed with great knowledge and humility as Derek did. We will all miss him and his contributions. So condolences to Pat his wife and his family.
RIP Derek.

Reaction score
What terrible news,I echo everyone else's condolences to Derek's wife and family,RIP Derek.

mikench

Reaction score
Truly sad news. I was only thinking about Derek the other day and how he was! He is a loss to his family and the Angling community! I pass on my sincerest condolences to all who knew and loved him! Rip Derek, you will be missed.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very sad to hear, a stalwart on here and I always enjoyed his posts immensely; I never met him personally but I bet he was a great bloke to know, he will be missed by many; I am sure of that.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Derek was just one of the many on here that I will never meet but through their posts you feel you get to know them.
He gave me some good advice with my own predator fishing. RIP

Windy

Reaction score
Someone I never met or spoke to but whose every new post or update was a "must read" even though I have never been a Pike enthusiast.

His wit and wisdom was so much wider than just that.

He will be sorely missed and my condolences to all friends and family.

rayner

Reaction score
Like many on this forum I never met Derek in person.

I also have the idea that many posters need help that most can't give, Derek always got me thinking about my own fishing even though I don't fish for predators.
You will be missed Derek.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Some talk the talk Derek walked the walk. A very knowledgeable angler who actively sought to spread the word. His posts were thoughtful and full of interest. RIP old chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk