What isthe largest lake you fish in

mikench

Reaction score
I don't like big lakes for fishing as I don't know where to start. For walking around, boating and swimming they are fine but I generally avoid them for fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't like big lakes for fishing as I don't know where to start. For walking around, boating and swimming they are fine but I generally avoid them for fishing.

It can be intimidating, even on a 20+ acre lake with good depth and a relatively low stock. However, you come to terms with it and learn how to work with it. That walking around you enjoy soon becomes part of your fishing. Those that just plonk themselves down anywhere on big waters are either not consistently successful, or they are rather lucky.

Philip

Reaction score
Cassien is very pretty and holds a large head of big carp.

Since they banned night fishing Cassien the pressure is nothing like it used to be ...however I was told the other day that Korda have just made a Video about day sessions on it so that going to knacker it all up again I suspect.

mikench

Reaction score
On my regular forays around the lake with my binos, er indoors and a picnic, I see carpers from GB and when asked how well they were doing, usually replied nothing yet in 2 days! I doubt I'm missing much.

waldi

Reaction score
It can be intimidating, even on a 20+ acre lake with good depth and a relatively low stock. However, you come to terms with it and learn how to work with it. That walking around you enjoy soon becomes part of your fishing. Those that just plonk themselves down anywhere on big waters are either not consistently successful, or they are rather lucky.

That's the secret Sam.

I spend a long time with dog, bino's, UL spin rod and a pocket full of crust :)wink-new:) Walking the Banks.
It's amazing how many fish will either investigate a floating crust or follow a small mepps spinner to the bank.

(oh. Don't Forget the polaroids)

J

The bad one

Reaction score
I agree about Lake Baikal Phil and it's on my bucket list. It looks and sounds amazing. I read a book entitled " the long walk" by Slavomir Rawicz based on a true story of an escape on foot from a gulag in Siberia to India. A very good read.
Let me know if you are doing it Mike, as I have contacts in the area and contacts in Moscow in the travel/tourist industry. It is one hell of an amazing place. Went out to the bog early one morning 4 00 amish in a little wooden house village, all the bogs are outside in the villages around the lake. Only to see a pack of wolves running along the tree line on the hill behind the village.

steve2

Reaction score
I have fished some of the Scottish lochs and Irish loughs, and English reservoirs but much prefer smaller waters.
Abberton was my favourite reservoir but fishing was so restricted and now no fishing is allowed.

None of my club waters are bigger than 20 acres.

Philip

Reaction score
On my regular forays around the lake with my binos, er indoors and a picnic, I see carpers from GB and when asked how well they were doing, usually replied nothing yet in 2 days! I doubt I'm missing much.

I'd reply the same.

if your walking it regularly then talk a bag of bait each time chuck it in a secret spot and then take a rod. A Cassien Carp whatever size is still a nice thing to have done.

john step

Reaction score
The nearest large lakes to me in France are le Lac de st Cassien, the Gorge de Verdon et le lac de St Croix. Cassien is very pretty and holds a large head of big carp. I fished for roach once on a whip. My only time for both. I have a deal with er indoors that I only sea fish here as I devote( according to her) too much time to fishing back home. It suits me and gives me something to look forward to.

I agree about Lake Baikal Phil and it's on my bucket list. It looks and sounds amazing. I read a book entitled " the long walk" by Slavomir Rawicz based on a true story of an escape on foot from a gulag in Siberia to India. A very good read.

I forgot I did fish Lake Champlain in NY state but blanked. I remain mightily impressed by large expanses of water. The statistics for Baikal though are amazing.

Mike, Many years ago I had a dentist called Fazler who walked from a Russian Gulag to escape. He told me that his dental skills enabled him to treat the guards as well as the inmates which he bartered for food, clothing and supplies.
This enabled him to keep his strength and walk away to freedom. It was so remote there were no fences and no one was expected to survive the hostile climate and terrain. I dont think he would still be alive today.

Andy M

Reaction score
Lake Tanganyika - 33,000 sq km. Second only to Baikal in volume and depth. Also fished Lake Malawi a bit smaller at about 30,000 sq Km but spent five very pleasant years living on the lake shore near Salima.

silvers

Reaction score
my grandad fished the Victoria Nyanza between the two world wars - albeit mostly with net and trap rather than rod & line.
nearly 60,000 km2 surface area.