Uncaught fish

steve2

Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and I were invited to a private function on a private estate, this estate as a couple of landscape lakes where the fishing is not allowed.
I was talking to one of the estate managers about the lake and said there doesn’t appear to be many fish in them. He took us to an area where they feed the fish and threw in some pellets. I have never seen so many big carp, some way over 20lbs some I would put over 30lbs in one small area. Most were commons but there were some beautiful big Koi amongst them.
It would have made a carp angler cry not being able to add some them to his list. None of these fish have names and am pleased to say they never will.
There must be plenty of places like this where big fish live out their lives never seeing a fisherman and anglers can only dream about.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Carp like those you saw look like you could catch them dead easily but are often impossible to catch.
There’s a village pond near me with loads of huge carp which will readily take any free offerings but as soon as a hook is attached they shy away totally disinterested.

john step

Reaction score
Carp like those you saw look like you could catch them dead easily but are often impossible to catch.
There’s a village pond near me with loads of huge carp which will readily take any free offerings but as soon as a hook is attached they shy away totally disinterested.

I am sure they tell each other to beware in carpy speak.:wh

Edited..... Why is it they will ignore the baited hook yet try to eat the controller float?:eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A couple of park lakes near me with platforms for feeding the ducks but I often stop and chuck bits of my shopping in. Full of uncaught carp, I like watching them feed and some big roach darting in and out between them as well.
An old castle moat I used to visit was the same, huge carp collecting under the bridge where visitors throw their sandwiches in.

Philip

Reaction score
The one that always spring to mind for me is Kew Gardens in London. As a kid I used to drool over the Carp (and Eels!) that used to come up for bread chucked in the lakes ..The crowds would throw in bits of bread and these fish would come up and start tug of warring with the Ducks over every bit you threw in. I even recall once being asked what would you do if you had the world to your self for 1 day and I recall thinking I would go to Kew Gardens and fish!!! (sad but true).

Anyway many years later I saw a film I cant recall all the details but basically it was someone who I think worked at Kew he managed to get access to fish it...I think he and his son or friend spent the entire night for something like 1 fish. ...I cant recall all the details but basically the billingsgate sized catch of apocolyptic proportions just didnt happen.

I also get the impression some of these lakes & fish we assume have never been fished actually have...and more than we think.