Books bought

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Couldn't find the old book thread but bought three yesterday in an old book shop.

"The accidental angler" already read but it was £1 so why not.

"The Observer book of birds" £3, purely because it had the dust jacket and they often have lost them.

"Fishing in wild places" £5, this was more interesting, don't think I have seen it before, David Street, Foreword by Ted Hughes, poet laureate and illustrated by Terence Lambert. All of which I have never heard of.

mikench

Reaction score
I think it was entitled " what are you reading at the moment" in Bait box. I bought The fishermans bedside book by BB and it's a delight.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was entitled " what are you reading at the moment" in Bait box. I bought The fishermans bedside book by BB and it's a delight.

Totally agree on that Mike, in fact I always used to take a copy on any overnight bivvy trip to read when relaxing at night.

BB's books were amazing and many of the ilustrations added so much more than a photograph simply couldn't achieve , in my opinion.

"BB" was Denys James Watkins-Pitchford, who was an author as well as an illustrator and did the drawings for many children's book as well as his own sporting volumes.

If you enjoyed the fisherman's Bedside book then take a look at his earlier "The Sportsman's Bedside Book" . . . . . .

Inside all of his books you will find this quotation:

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power,
The shapes of things,
Their colours, lights and shades,
These I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power,
The shapes of things,
Their colours, lights and shades,
These I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts.

Very nice that is, so true.

I’ve just about finished reading “The Rising Antenna - A waggler mans journey” by Jim Baxter

Good read mainly about match fisherman and their tactics, but anyone who enjoys the float would like it I’m sure.

Most of my angling books come from charity shops, I tend to sell them on again or take them back.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Very nice that is, so true.

I’ve just about finished reading “The Rising Antenna - A waggler mans journey” by Jim Baxter

Good read mainly about match fisherman and their tactics, but anyone who enjoys the float would like it I’m sure.

Most of my angling books come from charity shops, I tend to sell them on again or take them back.

The good news is that Jim is close to finishing a new book about top and bottom floats though I don't know when it'll be coming out.

trotter2

Reaction score
Looking forward to that mark.
That's great news.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have collected over 20 books by BB and it seems as though you are sitting on his shoulder as he describes things - the only sad thing is how the countryside has changed for the worse since he put pen to paper.

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Ah, did the FM search and couldn't find it, sorry about that, just let tis one run its course then.

I always look in charity shops etc, had some good finds and not just books.

Looking at this "Fishing in Wild Places" by David Street it looks like it might be a good read. He was a Royal Marine who came out in 1947 and amongst various things he would spend a month each year fishing some remote wild part of Britain. Its a nice looking proper book too with a dust jacket. I will give it a night time read and see what it is.

I like collecting nice fishing books, one thing the internet publishing age cannot replace is the feel and look of a good book. Not that I mind the internet publishing world but something is lost.

mikench

Reaction score
Reading on a kindle is a bit like swimming in clothes; perfectly possible but restrictive and not as much fun! I've gone back to books.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading on a kindle is a bit like swimming in clothes; perfectly possible but restrictive and not as much fun! I've gone back to books.

I'd say it is more akin(dle) to drinking alcohol free beer or wine or caffeine-free coffee . . . . it works, sort of, but is nothing like the real thing.

My kindle is in a drawer somewhere in the garage . . . . where it will stay

mikench

Reaction score
Your analogy is as good as mine and there are several more which I chose to avoid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Mike, just had that book you recommended delivered. The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. Looking forward to some peace and quiet to read it. ( If she ever stops rabbiting :wh)

mikench

Reaction score
I hope you enjoy it Pete! There was some controversy over the veracity of the story but it’s a good read and was made into a film!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk