Mini Species Challenge

flightliner

Reaction score
Artist,the container was 8•25". The Bleak was 6•25".
I had one some ten years ago on the very lower Tidal Trent that must have been close to as big as they get.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Had quite a few gudgeon out of the GUC at Wigston, Leicestershire this morning IMG_0542.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
Always wanted to catch a sea scorpion, they're pretty harmless folks and can be caught round most the coast I think

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Here’s a nice Gudgeon from my local Barbel stream caught on luncheonmeat and a size 8 hook.

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
I really like gudgeon and don't they squirm! A delightful little fish and one with eyes far bigger than it's belly.

theartist

Reaction score
Before the river season starts I'll do a quick recap on the entrants for this year, but seeing as we are doing the odd classic here's Sherman - perhaps the only named gudgeon? Mind you I'm probably the only one bonkers enough to ever name one, built like a tank and was proper heavy

Caught a few seasons ago and put back unweighed :eek:mg: I never saw Sherman again, but she lives on in the memory :D

thur (2).jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Before the river season starts I'll do a quick recap on the entrants for this year, but seeing as we are doing the odd classic here's Sherman - perhaps the only named gudgeon? Mind you I'm probably the only one bonkers enough to ever name one, built like a tank and was proper heavy

Caught a few seasons ago and put back unweighed :eek:mg: I never saw Sherman again, but she lives on in the memory :D

View attachment 6751

Ye Gods...what a monster. That is one hell of a gudjin.

gaz40k

Reaction score
That is a clonking gudjin! Whats the record these days? Last I checked it was 5 oz. That monster can't be too far off?

theartist

Reaction score
Yep, think it's still 5oz, I think it's a record that's quite beatable if idiots like me decide to weigh them in future :D

gaz40k

Reaction score
I was thinking you may have already, or at least nudged it! If i were you, i'd have a day here and there for them and see what happens.
Not sure how you'd specimen fish for gudgeon?
Bivvy, 3 superlight float rods on alarms, 10 gram leads with 22 hooks on a bolt rig?
I think id be prouder of holding the Gudgeon record than any other. Everyone knows where big carp, barbel etc are, gudjin are more elusive!

john step

Reaction score
I was thinking you may have already, or at least nudged it! If i were you, i'd have a day here and there for them and see what happens.
Not sure how you'd specimen fish for gudgeon?
Bivvy, 3 superlight float rods on alarms, 10 gram leads with 22 hooks on a bolt rig?
I think id be prouder of holding the Gudgeon record than any other. Everyone knows where big carp, barbel etc are, gudjin are more elusive!

They are in my parts. I have only seen a handful in the last couple of decades.