Mini Species Challenge

theartist

Reaction score
Be nice to see more pics of species like Bullheads, Ruffe, Gudgeon etc, any species that doesn't top 1lb.

Could run from now till end of season and doesn't have to be sized based, maybe best photo decided by vote at the end, anyone can catch these fish from any type of venue, just a bit of fun.

What do you think?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great idea, give Neil the trophy right now.:)

theartist

Reaction score
Ok guys lets have it then, pics of everything small and wonderful, they don't have to be massive or British records but if it's a clonking gonk or a pope that's dope then all the better, it's a jam jar style old skool task taking us back to our youth. If you want to go off topic with a conversation about Stone Loach then that's fine by me as long as there's a few pics at the end of the year. If you want to count any fish caught by your kids in a net then even better.

The rules are simple..
Any species caught that do not grow bigger than a pound
Caught this yeat
Caught in UK waters

Tight(ish) lines
Rob

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m reminded of the wonderful tv series, The Fishing Race, can you address us with the dulcet tones of Ian Wooldridge please Rob.

john step

Reaction score
I’m reminded of the wonderful tv series, The Fishing Race, can you address us with the dulcet tones of Ian Wooldridge please Rob.

Was the fishing race the programme years ago filmed all over the place. If it is I can remember a bit of Scandinavian fishing including somewhere the palace guards stopped them fishing. I can remember the British record Piranha from a tank in a seaside resort (Essex??)
Or was it the Matt Hayes series?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember little of it but it was a must stay in to watch programme, before the days of Iplayer and recording. Can’t find anything on YouTube sadly.

A synopsis

“Fishing competition in which the aim was to catch the greatest number of different species of fish in a variety of locations. And it wasn't just the usual angling targets - competitors got to try their hand at catching everything from piranhas (at a usefully co-operative zoo) to goldfish in a garden pond.

The first series featured Dennis Darkin and John Darling, Brian Harris and Clive Gammon, and Ian Gillespie and Jim Gibbinson. The second series, set in Sweden, had as competitors Clive Gammon and Gareth Edwards (the Welsh rugby player), Kevin Linnane and Terry Eustace, Jim Gibbinson and Ian Gillespie. The prize for the winners was the Golden Maggot Trophy.”

I do remember the goldfish pond!

rich66

Reaction score
Nice idea, the only fish I caught yesterday was a Gudgeon . It looked as surprised as I did lol

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Ok guys lets have it then, pics of everything small and wonderful, they don't have to be massive or British records but if it's a clonking gonk or a pope that's dope then all the better, it's a jam jar style old skool task taking us back to our youth. If you want to go off topic with a conversation about Stone Loach then that's fine by me as long as there's a few pics at the end of the year. If you want to count any fish caught by your kids in a net then even better.

The rules are simple..
Any species caught that do not grow bigger than a pound

Tight(ish) lines
Rob

Miller's thumb or bullhead caught in the winter of 2014 on the River Wey in Farnham, Surrey. First one I've seen for years.

bullhead.jpg

JONM14

Reaction score
Wish Id taken a picture of the single gudgeon that saved me a blank on Monday :)

puffer_

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I'm hoping to visit my old favourite stretch of the T&M this weekend specifically to catch some gudgeon as I haven't seen one in years. Hopefully I'll get to post it here.

I once caught the world's smallest perch but they obviously grow to more than a pound so I won't post it here.

mikench

Reaction score
I have given up already and I haven't even cast a line.:rolleyes:

Surely in the interests of fairness Neil should have been excluded ?:):wh

You know I'm jesting Neil; cracking photos.

puffer_

Reaction score
Managed a Ruffe the other day but no joy on the gudgeon so far!

theartist

Reaction score
Caught three gudgeon on a small pond today, quite a decent size, besides any gudgeon that can get amongst the carp and wolf down 10mm bread punch on a size 12 has got potential.
IMG_0448.jpg