Handling maggots and feeling sick

john step

Reaction score
This is a bit of a flippant statement about rinsing your hand in the water.............Perhaps the biggest risk to health on my club lake is loosing your fingers.
This is not as daft as it sounds. The pike have learnt that anglers mean returning silver fish and a free meal.

At this time of year they are just not frightened by an angler sitting above them on the bank. You can wave your arms, poke them with a landing net handle. They just sit there. Some are well into doubles. As soon as a roach is slipped back they strike like lightening. You have to return fish away a bit. They sit at the end of matchmens keepnets in anticipation.

A couple of years ago whilst doing my bailiff bit I saw a chap pull back and started screaming. There was a near double pike on his fingers. He made the mistake of wiggling his hand in the water to wash off groundbait. From memory he had about 9 stitches at the hospital.

GT56

Reaction score
I was reading a piece on Weil's Disease from the back of a club year book, apparently it is one of the most commonly transmitted diseases to humans from animals.
Not wishing to diminish how serious this disease can be it goes on to say that genuine Coca Cola is rumoured, although not proven, to ward off the disease if consumed before and after using the water facilities.
I think it was intended as some form of medicine back in the day but doubt the fizzy drink produced now would have anything like the original ingredients.
Never cared for the stuff myself and certainly wouldn't put any faith in any of this.

john step

Reaction score
I am out on the bank tomorrow and have a cut from a rip saw on a finger. NEW SKIN will be brushed on copiously.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have yet to see a pike let alone catch one!

Awwww, just so you know what one looks like.:)

nfSflKZ.jpg