Carp Pollution

john step

Reaction score
Shame Rayner you dont live in Lincs. Our club has several places with paving via a ramp for wheelchairs and the infirm of foot near the carp park. These are the best spots too. Its a silver fishery mainly. The carp need night fishing for and are few and far between so the two disciplines co exist peacefully. Mind you its expensive at £40 a year!!!

chrissh

Reaction score
I must admit that this season I've geared myself to fish for commercial carp.
I'm taking what I believe to be the easy way to catching fish. Reason my fishing days are numbered. The only reason I fish is the self gratification of catching, sitting there watching a stationary float or tip is not my bag. I need bites, not too fussed about wildlife whilst fishing. There's plenty of time for that away from the bank.
In an ideal world I would always go with whitty, indigenous species, they're after all how I was brought up on rivers and reservoirs.
To enable me to fish now I'm stuck on commercials. Limited walking, comfortable pegs, hard/gravel paths, toilet, and tackle shop if I need it all make fishing for me easy. Is it how I prefer to fish, no it far from it. It's the only way I can the way I'm fixed now. I'd sell my soul to fish the Trent or river Idle with a stick again.
I used to catch silvers from the fishery I fish now but fresh stocking of F1s on top of small carp and they get right in the way. Of course I can catch Ide, for gods sake they catch themselves. A constant trickle of feed and up they come like moths to a flame.
I get the odd roach or bream but carp trash my tackle. Now I've decided to increase my terminal tackle a notch to accommodate the s0ds.

Gary. Give Barlow lakes a try roach, Rudd, bream, chub, crucians, tench, and the odd barbel parking next to swims, there’s a caff and toilets , no bait shop, £5 day ticket
Fishing in Barlow, Derbyshire

rayner

Reaction score
Gary. Give Barlow lakes a try roach, Rudd, bream, chub, crucians, tench, and the odd barbel parking next to swims, there’s a caff and toilets , no bait shop, £5 day ticket
Fishing in Barlow, Derbyshire

Used to fish there a good few years ago, comfortable too.
I prefer now to pick just a couple of venues, I have a couple that I fish weekly are close to home.
The stocking at Aston is beginning to put me off, if it wasn't so close to my home I would probably find somewhere else.
I was kept off the water for most of last season, the new stocking came as a bit of a shock. It was stuffed with fish before now it's totally rammed. The addition of F1s hasn't helped me because I would prefer not to catch the buggers.
I'm going to have a few trips on the pond you fish Chris, next time at Aston I'll be in your peg :cool: only kidding Chris.

john step

Reaction score
Judging by the HDYGO thread I see that as well as myself others on here are taking advantage of some rod bending action from carp. For me the Tench have been thin on the ground, the rivers are closed for barbel and I dont feel right/ enjoy Spring/Summer pike so they are very welcome. As long as they are fairly stocked I think they are fine.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I noticed that as well.

Last edited:

gaz40k

Reaction score
Thats a really good point , I would be interested to see the demographic of the average angler.
The difference between the conversations I have had with other anglers I have met on the canal or at commercials compared to here - is like chalk and cheese.
"you should try so and so commie its easy - the fish are massive too" is the "average" comment I used to get.

But we shouldn't forget that for the average angler catching 20 * 10 LB carp on a day ticket water ( which I have managed to master a couple of times ) is deffo exciting - rod bends round , sound of the line being taken , good fun.

However , even for a happy splodger like me there is a lot of fun to be had not carp fishing , there is a prolific roach water ( public ) by me that I have had fantastic days fishing for roach on a whip and most of the memorable fish I have caught are not carp - 2 massive tench from the canal , a pike from the canal , a very large perch from the canal , a day absolutely catching roach after roach at a public pool.

But also the mentality is , for some anglers is to judge the day on how many carp you have caught , I once caught about 10 carp in 90 minutes on a swim feeder dropped just of the ( artificial island ) , "got my moneys worth there" , for a lot of casual anglers going fishing and not catching a carp is like going out and not pulling - "all the carp were lesbians"

If you join a forum to talk about fishing , as Sam says you are probably not the average angler.

I was going to post my own opinions but you have summed my own opinion up better than I ever could! The fact were here on a forum says were not the casual anglers these carp lakes attract.
I cut my teeth on canals and still view an 8lbs Carp as a bonus fish rather than one of many. There are still plenty of park lakes and other natural venues to scratch the itch, at least there is around my way. The added bonus is there now isn't many other folk on them so we have the pick of the pegs!

benny samways

Reaction score
Cormorants have totally f’d up any chance of good natural sliver fishing, ever again.

Absolutely criminal.

Even if kids wanted to sit, like we did, catching a few roach, they couldn’t anymore on the waters round here.

Reaction score
Amazing,I would have thought the same here ten years ago,now the entire area is loaded with silvers,rivers,lakes,ponds,canals(so Simon and Robs posts show),never say never...

silvers

Reaction score
And yet still plenty of cormorants (and otters) could it be that they weren’t (totally) to blame after all? Ecosystems are complex and dynamic ... something the RSPB also seem unable to admit.

theartist

Reaction score
Amazing,I would have thought the same here ten years ago,now the entire area is loaded with silvers,rivers,lakes,ponds,canals(so Simon and Robs posts show),never say never...

One thing I've learned about my local canal is that despite being a canal it's still peggy, only the other day I was scaring off a cormorant from outside a supermarket(The canal not the fresh fish aisle). The best cuts are the ones with trees and bridges, features like trees in the water and shallow feeder rivers entering and leaving add to the balance regarding predators and recruitment.

Some areas are worse hit than others due mainly to the geography of the waters themselves rather than where they are geographically

Philip

Reaction score
This thread cant seem to make its mind up. Its gone from Carp polluting & taking over every water system known to man to waters now being filled with silver fish.

theartist

Reaction score
This thread cant seem to make its mind up. Its gone from Carp polluting & taking over every water system known to man to waters now being filled with silver fish.

It's not so much the thread rather us lot meandering off topic like a twisting turning lowland river, given the shenanigans on the forum of late that's not such a bad thing :)

Philip

Reaction score
It's not so much the thread rather us lot meandering off topic

Truth be told I was actually trying to be diplomatic when I said the "thread" couldnt make its mind up. ...I did actually mean you lot :);)

...and agreed probably not such a bad thing...