River Roach

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which rivers are deemed acceptable for Roach fishing in the North of England ?
I haven't caught a Roach from a river since I was on the Trent a few years ago with a friend during a temporary heat wave.
I would like to try a new river for the experience and fish for Roach using my centrepin reel.
I have managed Minnow, Dace on my local river and small skimmer Bream and even Grayling and Trout on another river which I have to admit got the adrenal gland going again.
Roach however I just cannot locate, spending many summer evenings looking for them I feel compelled to ask what river has a known acceptable catch rate for this specific species of fish.
Thank you

mikench

Reaction score
Many stretches of your local rivers will be either on a club card,or if free, not very wonderful . The Goyt, Dane, Dean, Mersey, Irwell, Weaver, Dee to name but a few have roach as do miles of canals throughout the region!

For me safe parking is a major issue and i will just not frequent some stretches. Have a look at the local clubs( as already suggested) such as Warrington, Lymm, Bay Malton, Northwich, Windsford, Salford etc for a wealth of venues .

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks and yes I know the Goyt, Tame, Mersey, Irwell and MSC quite well ... I dont rate any of them for good heads of roach though having tried them frequently for a few years. Tame and Goyt are predominantly game until reaching closer to Stockport.
Barbel and Chub seems to be the order of the day on the lower Tame, Goyt and Mersey down as far as Northenden.
Not interested in the clubs there though from what I learned it us not for me (not interested in ponds either).
Mersey is pretty much free like the Irwell minus the Hogweed and has had a Cormorant problem for a while ...had many species except Roach Ruffe and Tench from the Mersey Tame and Goyt valley (could be owed to my technique or poor watercraft I just dont know).
The Douglas isnt bad if you havent tried it before, not had a Roach yet though :( had big Chub and Trout when I last went and the Weaver looks like it should be full of Roach just haven't seen any sign of any. Same goes for Dane and Bollin. Plenty of Roach in local ponds...just cannot seem to cleave to this kind of fishing, tried it and did not enjoy it, like moving water I think...Manchester pusher likes his canals so I avoid them too! Last time I went to a canal in a place called Marple and some dry old bitch ruined that by throwing bread infront of my float and got hounded by ducks and a few swans.... so that didnt work either. Nevermind. Ya liveses and learnses

Last edited:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
I'm from dahn sarf but I very much enjoyed a Youtube film a while back from James Robbins, when he was still at Shakespeare. It was called 'Stick Fishing for roach on the River Ribble' iircc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes the Ribble.
How did I forget about the Ribble?
Cheers, will see if can find the vid too on YT