Albright special knot....easy and secure!

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Albright Knot - The Albright Special Knot | Fishing Knots

If you havent tried it yet I urge you to find familiarity with this knot, replaces swivels on specific river rigs, put leader onto your reel line at differing diameter etc....
Fluoro to braid (that last inch to give a movable presentation to a hair rig etc)...
Seems very secure, not had one fail on me yet.
Especially good if you want a change from or run out of correct size swivvels.
:)

mikench

Reaction score
So do I. Being incapable I have failed to master most knots. But the uni knot and Palomar knot are easy even for me and I'm not aware of either failing me.

Reaction score
I don't like the palomar,it's too easy to not tie it correctly,but it still looks ok,then it gives out,the grinned however,what a knot,tremendous...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As Keith has said, the Palomar is a very simple knot to tie, how is it possible to tie it incorrectly Whit?

Reaction score
What I find is when I tie it,if I'm in error,the knot still pulls up and looks ok but has failed,the grinner however has two obvious signs of correctness,one the look of a figure of eight as you start to form it and after you tease it down the fact the tag end points away from the hook. I will stick with the grinner,in fact I would much rather use a half blood knot,or a tucked half blood,even though I know it's not as strong,it is however p1ss easy to tie correctly...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use the tucked half blood knot for everything, tying flies, joining two lengths of the line which is basically two half tucked blood knots. Not recommmending it but being hopeless and cack handed, mastering one knot is my limit, but I never have breakages or very rarely.
This Albright knot still has two tags which is what I find a nuisance when making a leader but the fact they lay closer to the main line might be an improvement. With the double half bloods the tags would stick out from the main line and I could burn them off with a fag end, done carefully you would end up with just a little bump of monofil. I have given up smoking and dont use leaders anymore so not a problem anymore.
I did try wrapping cotton round the knots and a dab of super glue to hide the tags but this could be a problem that it created a stiff spot that could be troublesome when casting and I was told super gluee can rot monofil.

Philip

Reaction score
I am another Palomar fan and one of the reasons for that is because its one of the most consistently strong knots out there. While there are stronger knots, some which even give 100% line strength, this is when they are literally tied in a lab with a magnifying glass so the strength can vary wildly depending on how well they are tied. The Palomar gives a very consistent knot strength, tie it 100 times and it will always be a strong knot. I cant say I have ever had one fail. The other advantage is that it works on basically any material as well.

As for the OPs point, I use the Albright allot as well especially for joining braid to Fluro when lure fishing or on some Carp rigs to create combi rigs. However there is a similar knot called the Alberto that I believe gives slightly better knot strength. I keep meaning to try it but have not got round to it yet.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Let me put this a different way I find the palomar knot fiddly to tie(my sausage fingers),so if I do not tie it right,it still looks correct,which amounts to when it isn't tied right it fails(obviously),the grinner(1st choice)and the half blood(2nd choice)are mega consistent,both in my ability to tie and in use,the stupid thing is,I can tie loops 5mm long by hand easily,been doing it for years,maybe that's the issue,in the time I'm learning to tie the palomar correctly I'm getting odd failures(perhaps 5%),but that isn't good enough for me...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Well blow me down, all these years I thought I've been using the albright knot when I join fluoro to braid on combi links and lure traces and it turns out I've been using the alberto knot. :redface:

Keith M

Reaction score
The only thing that I don’t like about the Palomar knot; when used for tying hooks; is the need to have doubled line pushed through the eye of the hook; and most of my eyed hooks have small eyes; and if Im using larger hooks with a hair rig I will be using the ‘Knotless Knot’ anyway (see link below).

Knotless Knot - How to tie a Knotless Knot | Fishing Knots

As I’ve already said; I use the ‘Grinner Knot’ for nearly all of my needs (except for when I’m tying spade end hooks of course) because the ‘Grinner’ is so reliable and so easy to tie.
I can now tie a 5 turn Grinner knot (or ‘Uni Knot’) in the dark using my lips and tongue to feel the knot as I tie it; it is so easy to tie (you rarely need more than 5 turns).

Uni Knot - How to tie a Uni Knot | Fishing Knots

I used to use the ‘Tucked half Blood Knot’ but this knot is one of the ‘Strangle Knots’ which can weaken your line when it’s tightened up so I moved away from this knot after having it fail a few times, and moved on to the the Grinner a long time ago; which has never failed me.

Keith

Last edited:

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Palomar is prob my fave too for all line contact with a swivel.
I just see so much potential in these line to line knots, that Alberto is a brilliant knot and if its stronger than the albright I am onto it now.

Philip

Reaction score
About the Palomar one thing to keep an eye on ..if you miss putting the line through the eye twice the knot still tightens down but that will slip.

The knot has never let me down, I am racking my brains but its just never happened. I am so confident in it I don't even think about it.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Check this for weirdoh bonus points.
I have one centrepin I use to practice the knots on and found I could layer my reel using the albright starting with the thicker diameter down to the thinner and means I can take a 50m of say 10 8 6 4lb lines for my roving and gain quicker access to a near suitable line if different species of fish that could be targeted showed up. Instead of bringing 4 reels or even 4 spools of line (which is bulk and weight) I can take one empty spool and within 3 minutes be fishing correctly, as long as the largest diameter line goes on the reel first I get to swap my 4lb trotting technique to a medium ledgering type approach. Suprising how quickly you can swap back with the albright. Something I simply couldnt do using a rear drag reel or leaving the swivels attached (less time fumbling about when you see a whopper has entered the swim).

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
Used to use the uni/grinner but now use the Palomar for swivels/eyed hooks. I like the double line through the eye (if the hook eye is big
enough) has got to be better that just one pass through the hook eye/swivel surely ?

Would still favour a spade end hook where ever possible but thats another thread thats been done to death ....

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Used to use the uni/grinner but now use the Palomar for swivels/eyed hooks. I like the double line through the eye (if the hook eye is big
enough) has got to be better that just one pass through the hook eye/swivel surely ?

Would still favour a spade end hook where ever possible but thats another thread thats been done to death ....

Snelled to death ;)

rayner

Reaction score
Another 3 years and I've been an angler for 60yrs. Over the yeas I've tied nearly all the knots we use. For hook lengths to main line I use loop to loop tied with a figure 8; eyed hooks are tied knotless, spades just whipped on with a matchman.
Don't have knots fail on the whole, like everyone I've had the odd failure but not often enough to make me think of changing anything.
I do tie Albright knot for fluro to braid and see no reason to change.
I have no need for swivels.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another 3 years and I've been an angler for 60yrs. Over the yeas I've tied nearly all the knots we use. For hook lengths to main line I use loop to loop tied with a figure 8; eyed hooks are tied knotless, spades just whipped on with a matchman.
Don't have knots fail on the whole, like everyone I've had the odd failure but not often enough to make me think of changing anything.
I do tie Albright knot for fluro to braid and see no reason to change.
I have no need for swivels.

This was the original factor for my decision to use this knot. It can have many applications to discover I'm sure, but I used knots for a while where by they needed literally cutting away from the swivel and every now and again I would mark the swivel (only slightly perhaps) making the next line tied up against it be made to suffer the scratching of the line when under its maximum pressure and giving out much easier....however good my tying was. I like the minimalist approach to using less terminal additions but keeping the same confidence, which I believe the albright achieves.
It would be helpful to know where on each knot we use recieves the most wear or where its weakness is once under strain.
Hey Rayner....well done getting there fella! I have the challenge of making it thus far :)