Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Albright special knot....easy and secure!

Albright Knot - The Albright Special Knot | Fishing Knots

If you havent tried it yet I urge you to find familiarity with this knot, replaces swivels on specific river rigs, put leader onto your reel line at differing diameter etc....
    Fluoro to braid (that last inch to give a movable presentation to a hair rig etc)...
    Seems very secure, not had one fail on me yet.
    Especially good if you want a change from or run out of correct size swivvels.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Albright special knot....easy and secure!

I use the ‘Uni Knot’ or ‘Grinner Knot’ (named after Richard Walkers son) for nearly all of my fishing needs.

Uni Knot - How to tie a Uni Knot | Fishing Knots

The Palomar knot is also a very secure and a simple knot to tie although the hook eye needs to be large enough to pass doubled line through it.

Palomar Knot - How to tie a Palomar Knot | Fishing Knots

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

So do I. Being incapable I have failed to master most knots. But the uni knot and Palomar knot are easy even for me and I'm not aware of either failing me.

Blog Entries

I don't like the palomar,it's too easy to not tie it correctly,but it still looks ok,then it gives out,the grinned however,what a knot,tremendous...

As Keith has said, the Palomar is a very simple knot to tie, how is it possible to tie it incorrectly Whit?

Blog Entries

What I find is when I tie it,if I'm in error,the knot still pulls up and looks ok but has failed,the grinner however has two obvious signs of correctness,one the look of a figure of eight as you start to form it and after you tease it down the fact the tag end points away from the hook. I will stick with the grinner,in fact I would much rather use a half blood knot,or a tucked half blood,even though I know it's not as strong,it is however p1ss easy to tie correctly...
    Last edited by whitty; 02-05-2019 at 06:06.

I use the tucked half blood knot for everything, tying flies, joining two lengths of the line which is basically two half tucked blood knots. Not recommmending it but being hopeless and cack handed, mastering one knot is my limit, but I never have breakages or very rarely.
    This Albright knot still has two tags which is what I find a nuisance when making a leader but the fact they lay closer to the main line might be an improvement. With the double half bloods the tags would stick out from the main line and I could burn them off with a fag end, done carefully you would end up with just a little bump of monofil. I have given up smoking and dont use leaders anymore so not a problem anymore.
    I did try wrapping cotton round the knots and a dab of super glue to hide the tags but this could be a problem that it created a stiff spot that could be troublesome when casting and I was told super gluee can rot monofil.

I am another Palomar fan and one of the reasons for that is because its one of the most consistently strong knots out there. While there are stronger knots, some which even give 100% line strength, this is when they are literally tied in a lab with a magnifying glass so the strength can vary wildly depending on how well they are tied. The Palomar gives a very consistent knot strength, tie it 100 times and it will always be a strong knot. I cant say I have ever had one fail. The other advantage is that it works on basically any material as well.

As for the OPs point, I use the Albright allot as well especially for joining braid to Fluro when lure fishing or on some Carp rigs to create combi rigs. However there is a similar knot called the Alberto that I believe gives slightly better knot strength. I keep meaning to try it but have not got round to it yet.
    Last edited by Philip; 02-05-2019 at 06:38.

Blog Entries

Let me put this a different way I find the palomar knot fiddly to tie(my sausage fingers),so if I do not tie it right,it still looks correct,which amounts to when it isn't tied right it fails(obviously),the grinner(1st choice)and the half blood(2nd choice)are mega consistent,both in my ability to tie and in use,the stupid thing is,I can tie loops 5mm long by hand easily,been doing it for years,maybe that's the issue,in the time I'm learning to tie the palomar correctly I'm getting odd failures(perhaps 5%),but that isn't good enough for me...

10. Default Re: Albright special knot....easy and secure!

Well blow me down, all these years I thought I've been using the albright knot when I join fluoro to braid on combi links and lure traces and it turns out I've been using the alberto knot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast