Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homemade maggots

Anyone like to share any technical on bucket evolution?
    With summer coming soon but weather being warm enough to recieve bluebottle blows, how do you keep your chambers dry enough to minimise the migration stage from off the offal? I have some YT but these are aimed more for the soldier fly.
    If anyone has and drawings for making a auto system I would much appreciate your guidance and methods.
    At the moment I capture the blow in a 5L bucket suspended from the lid of a bigger 25L bucket but struggle to keep them once off the feed from finding the entry holes made for the air and to allow flies in to collect their blows. I have tried flour, sand you name it.... they still manage to climb.

Default Re: Homemade maggots

Is it worth all the effort?

For me personally having a free supply of the very freshest & largest (not to mention softest/supple) maggots for such a small amount of effort is worth it. Firstly it saves me having to go out, buy and compete with the loyal match anglers at my local places and its set up is cheap and to clean them up riddled and "ready" takes minutes.
    I can "bag down" with much much greater recovery and can also hoard them over a season or use for feeding chickens.

To colour them:

Beetroot from the garden for red (failing that from cake isle of supermarket).
    Tumeric for orangey yellow.
    Or natural Ivory colour.

Worms are easy to collect as you probably all already know.

Breeding them would be the last straw for er indoors. Buying them is much cheaper than a divorce! In addition I can't stand them so buying them sanitised by the pint is fine with me! If any turn to caster that's equally fine but I am happy to buy them.

Pinkies on the other hand are little devils and best avoided!

Ps. I think we are all going to get along just fine now! I am glad you stayed Weirdoh.
    Last edited by mikench; 02-05-2019 at 16:22.

Thanks mikench!
    Mutual and water under the bridge eh

I do all my collecting in my garden and as long as you follow or more important get into a routine of sanitation/hygiene protocol its actually not as messy or smelly as some people might think. The collecting of sufficient blow (egg packets) and checking for hatching is prob the worst part. I made the mistake of riddling off some home mades once and my house floor was covered in the smaller fly maggot that experience had not showed me yet how easy they could escape the air holes on the maggi boxes and just how many flies suddenly appeared on the windows, thinking I hoovered every last one of them they just kept appearing for days. I have since bought grading riddles (50p local flea market) and can successfully separate the different maggot/larvae.
    I keep them outside since I learned you can create refrigeration by creating a 2ft by 2ft square depression in the ground that stays shaded, that holds a suprisingly stable temperature (even in hot weather). If they escape then the blackbirds and Robins help out. If I am completely honest I think homemade maggots are superior to shop bought, but I do occasionally still buy shop bought for convenience.

Interesting post always fancied giving home made maggots a go, but if you can guarantee a divorce too I reckon it’s definitely worth a bash Homemade maggotsHomemade maggots
    My son often rots off the flesh on animal skulls at the top of the garden so the smells probably something I’m used too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    ...My son often rots off the flesh on animal skulls at the top of the garden so the smells probably something I’m used too
    ...he says so casually, as if everybody has a son who does that

I think you have mentioned this before, but I can't remember why he does it.

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post

I think you have mentioned this before, but I can't remember why he does it.

Ralph.
    Taxidermy Ralph, he collects skulls. He’s not got a lot but they wiff a bit till the flesh has rotted off.

Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post
    I have a wife you used to do that surprisingly still my wife, though if I suddenly go missing from here inform the police to check the top of the garden for a bucket with a skull in . She was so happy when a person called round who was actually interested in her badger skulls and collection of penis bones. Swiftly moving on ......

Couple of years ago I went through a summer of breeding my own and will say the results were better than shop bought, bigger, fatter, softer, fresher. But only if I used them quickly, once stored in the fridge they were soon the same as shop bought.
    Planning my breeding cycle 2 weeks before a fishing trip simply didn't work. Besides, if I wanted a blow of flies the weather was guaranteed to go freezing cold and no flies about for a week!
    The process if done properly smells little and if I was a serious match angler or someone who fished regularly several times a week it would be worth having a routine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast