Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    865
    Blog Entries
    5

    Smile Just having a run of bad luck...

    No matter how hard I try, I seem to end up not being able to get out fishing as much as I would like. The latest in the long line circumstances and events stopped my planned trip to Mousehole Lakes.

    Wednesday evening, while building up my 'brownie' point score by doing the washing up, I managed to drag one of our sharpest knives across the palm of my had slicing straight through the pad of flesh at the base of my index finger and, somehow across my thumb just under the knuckle joint

    Sterri-strips held it together and a padded plaster covered the wound, but it is in danger of being ripped open again so no fishing for me for a few days.

    Looks like I can spend the holiday weekend topping up my hook lengths and tying some new rigs, to replace the ones I have tangled, snapped or lost over the past few months. I might have a go at making some PVA bags of pellets ready for my next trip to Swift Lake at Mousehole. I am going to try and catch some of the bigger fish that populate the margins of the island, under the overhanging vegetation. I plan to see if I can get there with my pole and/or have a go at getting a bomb into the shallows without 'feeding' the tree Gods!

    Anyone else stuck at home this weekend planning a trip for a later date?

    Ralph
    Last edited by fishplate42; 03-05-2019 at 12:35.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

    My fishing blog

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    11,263

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Sorry to hear that Ralph. I assume your self diagnosis precluded stitches but better safe than sorry! The weather doesn't look good for northern parts this weekend nor, for that matter, the coming week! With the thread about Weils disease, dirty water et all I would be very careful if I were you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    1,875

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Spent some time yesterday planning a days Tench fishing next week. Sorted out all my gear and baits only to see that the weather forecast frost this weekend and winter again next week.
    So looks like tench fishing on hold for now. Following week is already written of with hospital appointments.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cheshire North
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post
    No matter how hard I try, I seem to end up not being able to get out fishing as much as I would like. The latest in the long line circumstances and events stopped my planned trip to Mousehole Lakes.

    Wednesday evening, while building up my 'brownie' point score by doing the washing up, I managed to drag one of our sharpest knives across the palm of my had slicing straight through the pad of flesh at the base of my index finger and, somehow across my thumb just under the knuckle joint

    Sterri-strips held it together and a padded plaster covered the wound, but it is in danger of being ripped open again so no fishing for me for a few days.

    Looks like I can spend the holiday weekend topping up my hook lengths and tying some new rigs, to replace the ones I have tangled, snapped or lost over the past few months. I might have a go at making some PVA bags of pellets ready for my next trip to Swift Lake at Mousehole. I am going to try and catch some of the bigger fish that populate the margins of the island, under the overhanging vegetation. I plan to see if I can get there with my pole and/or have a go at getting a bomb into the shallows without 'feeding' the tree Gods!

    Anyone else stuck at home this weekend planning a trip for a later date?

    Ralph
    Why not invite someone to go with you to do all the physical efforts for you?
    Would have to be someone good at taking instruction, mind you it wouuld get you out on the bank

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    865
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Sorry to hear that Ralph. I assume your self diagnosis precluded stitches but better safe than sorry! The weather doesn't look good for northern parts this weekend nor, for that matter, the coming week! With the thread about Weils disease, dirty water et all I would be very careful if I were you.
    Thanks Mike, I popped into the doctor's this morning and cam away with a whole lot of paper and a 'small plastic bottle' PLUS and appointment with the nurse on Wednesday for my annual foot check... one... two... Yes, both there . Joking aside, they do seem to care. Since they decided I have diabetes (T2), they seem to be keen to follow my progress.

    The hand is okay, just needs a few days to heal. I will take some of those disposable gloves with me to keep that hand away from any dodgy waterborne germs.

    Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

    My fishing blog

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    865
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdoh View Post
    Why not invite someone to go with you to do all the physical efforts for you?
    Would have to be someone good at taking instruction, mind you it wouuld get you out on the bank
    I am happy to spend the weekend sorting gear. I won't be able to get out until latter in the week, if that. By then I will fighting fit and happy to go alone.

    Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

    My fishing blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,343

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Bloomin eck Ralph, you’re sure it wasn’t your wrists you were trying to slash with the frustration you are suffering at the hands of solicitors and estate agents?

    I’m at home, weather is horrible, sitting here listening to snooker whilst making up rigs for surface fishing having enjoyed my first success on my last visit to the estate. Talking of the estate, why are you choosing a day ticket commercial over it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    865
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Spent some time yesterday planning a days Tench fishing next week. Sorted out all my gear and baits only to see that the weather forecast frost this weekend and winter again next week.
    So looks like tench fishing on hold for now. Following week is already written of with hospital appointments.
    I hope you get out soon and find a few tench. I caught a small one on my first visit to Mousehole over the Easter Weekend, and the owner said they go a good bit bigger in that lake... we will see

    Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

    My fishing blog

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    865
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Bloomin eck Ralph, you’re sure it wasn’t your wrists you were trying to slash with the frustration you are suffering at the hands of solicitors and estate agents?

    I’m at home, weather is horrible, sitting here listening to snooker whilst making up rigs for surface fishing having enjoyed my first success on my last visit to the estate. Talking of the estate, why are you choosing a day ticket commercial over it?
    Me too John, I will also be watching the snooker and preparing my tackle over the weekend. The reason for going to Mousehole Lakes is distance really. It is only twenty-odd miles away, plus a day ticket is only £7.00.

    I may not be able to go fishing at all, as the paper-pushers are finally promising to get their act together next week. If they do I could be packing like mad and out of here within a few weeks... Then it will be a case of spending a lot of time on the estate lake having a go at catching them off the top.

    Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

    My fishing blog

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cheshire North
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Just having a run of bad luck...

    Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post
    I am happy to spend the weekend sorting gear. I won't be able to get out until latter in the week, if that. By then I will fighting fit and happy to go alone.

    Ralph.
    Good idea, be better prepared.
    Hope you get well soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •