Basic wormery question

theartist

Reaction score
I've got a large container, previously I've made nice wormeries from the like but I've always drilled drainage holes in the bottom, on this occasion I cannot do this.

Q is.. Can i make a wormery that has no drainage? (I have a lid)

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got a large container, previously I've made nice wormeries from the like but I've always drilled drainage holes in the bottom, on this occasion I cannot do this.

Q is.. Can i make a wormery that has no drainage? (I have a lid)

I would not risk too much moisture collection at the bottom of the container, it would mean having to disturb the worms to often to fetch out whatever you use to soak up the moisture build up, I could be wrong but without the tap on mine I would find the worms drown or it would be too much like hard work keeping them moist but not saturated. Failing that some sort of mesh you could lift out quickly that lifts up the compost that would create like a void from underneath, you would have to check it regular perhaps.
What dimensions are the container ?

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I would not risk too much moisture collection at the bottom of the container, it would mean having to disturb the worms to often to fetch out whatever you use to soak up the moisture build up, I could be wrong but without the tap on mine I would find the worms drown or it would be too much like hard work keeping them moist but not saturated. Failing that some sort of mesh you could lift out quickly that lifts up the compost that would create like a void from underneath, you would have to check it regular perhaps.
What dimensions are the container ?

Thanks, its quite small around 200l but I'm pushed for space

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, its quite small around 200l but I'm pushed for space

200L will give you alot of fresh worms and excellent explosive plant growth hormones...wormery juice is the best I have used.
Perhaps percivere and find some kind of slim but with raised sided tray of some description and create some small holes on one side of the wormery on the bottom horizontal with a tray underneath, by raising the two opposite corners by a 1 or 2cm to guide run off.
If you have an Ikea close by have alook at their plastic put aways, they make good wormeries, you could get two in the size of a 200l space just buy putting one inside the other and drilling holes in the bottom of the above tub or get a small tap from a brew shop online and fit that on the bottom one, stick with it though. Worth it imho :)

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks for the help weirdoh, probably better than trolling for rises long term, worms get more bites

I'll give it a go even of the front room isn't the best place for a wormery, the missus will probably insist I put it outside but nobodies perfect

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the help weirdoh, probably better than trolling for rises long term, worms get more bites

I'll give it a go even of the front room isn't the best place for a wormery, the missus will probably insist I put it outside but nobodies perfect

Without sounding like a know it all, worms will breed very quickly at a constant mean temp, when I find the book I am looking for I will post it here, what I was going to say was if your living room temps fluctuates to much (gets cool at night after bedtime and warm in evening they will not do so well, somewhere around 15c (if memory serves me correctly) and kept stable within a certain parameter. You will figure it out I'm sure :)
Save that run off though and your border flowers and house plants will be very healthy, for sure.

Last edited: