Injecting worms?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone inject air in their worms when fishing? This was a bit of the rage once and I found it increases bites quite a lot. The worm popped up 2/6 inches from the bottom. I reckon it is more visable to fish and the scent carries better and further. A big fat lob wriggling about in free water was more irristable to fish and what about a floating worm for carp? However, I felt sorry for the worm, a bit cruel.
I used to do it a lot a few years ago and then lost my syringe and just forgot about it but does anyone still do it and do they they think it catches more fish?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've tried it a few times in the last couple of years or so, but haven't found it very successful - I've always had more bites with worm fished hard on the bottom. In fact, I've been a lot more successful with two or more small to medium sized worms on the hook than one big one.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in popping up worms but I limit the buoyancy to just the head end so that the worm sits up off the bottom like a striking snake. This prevents the worm hiding under any debris on the bottom and makes it stand out but a worm thrashing about in mid water is unnatural.

I recently broke the plunger in the barrel of my syringe and had lots of trouble trying to replace it, a couple of tackle shops would sell me the syringes but not the needles. In my experience main line drug users don't live to be seventy...

A fine needle is required for blowing air into baits and a larger bore one for oil and flavours - I finally found this:
Products : Baitbox

Only a tiny bit of air is required to critically balance even a big lob worm but be careful not to inject anything even air into your body as it can be fatal.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, something I do with regularity. Popped up off the bottom or freelined and trotted downstream on the surface awaiting those huge chub mouths to engulf it. Lots of spare needles to be found in and around Canterbury town centre.:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
I use them regularly particularly for Perch and Barbel.
Never bothered injecting for Barbel but a lob on a hair with a quickstop that is rearing its head a couple of inches from the deck is a big attractor that big stripey s find hard to resist.

john step

Reaction score
I have done it but nowadays I just put one or two buoyant plastic maggots on after the worm. As I use barbless it keeps the worm on the hook and by pushing the maggots up the hook a bit it leaves the point clear.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always wear gloves...and gently clap the worm inbetween your hands to render it temporarily paralysed if its lively.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I have done it but nowadays I just put one or two buoyant plastic maggots on after the worm. As I use barbless it keeps the worm on the hook and by pushing the maggots up the hook a bit it leaves the point clear.

I do something similar though I've found just moving the bait now and again to be just as effective.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny thing is if this question was asked in the Victorian era, you would find some old beard who would have a diary of what happens to worms injected with air, water, beer, heroin, adrenaline, insulin and earwax...and it would not seem out of place on a bookshelf....sitting next to revolutionary documents like the bristol stool chart and how to debunk an airheaded rebuttal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks, interesting replies. I will probably get more into coarse fishing this year than last year and might give this a go again. I used to fish a couple of park lakes a long time ago and got into this injecting worms then. They were quite heavily fished and I collected big orange lobs near me on an old waste ground. They were orange because the ground had orange clay in it. I found injected with air they caught more fish on those lakes; nice bream and tench. Might go back there as it's only down the road from me but I will have to buy the worms now, no garden and digging might be a bit much now.
I have seen many good fish caught on worms over the years, one lady angler I fished on commercials with used worms all the time just laying on in the margins and caught some very impressive carp like that and many other species. I like worms, is there a worm scent you can buy and does that work, soaked on maggots or bread maybe, just wondering.

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I use Sonubaits Worm Fishmeal Groundbait in a cage feeder with worm on the hook and it seems to work well. They do a matching liquid additive which I also use, as well as Dynamite Baits Liquid Worm. I'm not sure if the additives make any difference, but they certainly smell interesting!

laguna

Reaction score
I don't often use pop up lobs but when I do I use these wafter balls and sometimes use their chopped heads as a worm stop. A cut/chopped worm oozes amino acids which is all the attractant you really need for perch, for carp and other species the coloured balls might help if they are out of range of smell.

wafter_balls_multi-coloured_1.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
The late 80s I had a ticket for a weeded up water that was home to some bigish Tench. Popped worm or bread flake were good baits for Tench, captured some big Roach as well on both bread and worm.
Good memories.