Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Injecting worms?

Does anyone inject air in their worms when fishing? This was a bit of the rage once and I found it increases bites quite a lot. The worm popped up 2/6 inches from the bottom. I reckon it is more visable to fish and the scent carries better and further. A big fat lob wriggling about in free water was more irristable to fish and what about a floating worm for carp? However, I felt sorry for the worm, a bit cruel.
    I used to do it a lot a few years ago and then lost my syringe and just forgot about it but does anyone still do it and do they they think it catches more fish?

Default Re: Injecting worms?

I've tried it a few times in the last couple of years or so, but haven't found it very successful - I've always had more bites with worm fished hard on the bottom. In fact, I've been a lot more successful with two or more small to medium sized worms on the hook than one big one.

I'm a firm believer in popping up worms but I limit the buoyancy to just the head end so that the worm sits up off the bottom like a striking snake. This prevents the worm hiding under any debris on the bottom and makes it stand out but a worm thrashing about in mid water is unnatural.

I recently broke the plunger in the barrel of my syringe and had lots of trouble trying to replace it, a couple of tackle shops would sell me the syringes but not the needles. In my experience main line drug users don't live to be seventy...

A fine needle is required for blowing air into baits and a larger bore one for oil and flavours - I finally found this:
    Products : Baitbox

Only a tiny bit of air is required to critically balance even a big lob worm but be careful not to inject anything even air into your body as it can be fatal.

Yep, something I do with regularity. Popped up off the bottom or freelined and trotted downstream on the surface awaiting those huge chub mouths to engulf it. Lots of spare needles to be found in and around Canterbury town centre.

Blog Entries

I use them regularly particularly for Perch and Barbel.
    Never bothered injecting for Barbel but a lob on a hair with a quickstop that is rearing its head a couple of inches from the deck is a big attractor that big stripey s find hard to resist.

I have done it but nowadays I just put one or two buoyant plastic maggots on after the worm. As I use barbless it keeps the worm on the hook and by pushing the maggots up the hook a bit it leaves the point clear.

I've always been a bit wary of the risk of accidentally injecting myself, so I'd be more likely to do the kind of thing Archie Braddock suggest here for popping up worms.

Archie Braddock - My way for big perch by Dynamite Baits - Issuu

Always wear gloves...and gently clap the worm inbetween your hands to render it temporarily paralysed if its lively.
    Last edited by Weirdoh; 04-05-2019 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I have done it but nowadays I just put one or two buoyant plastic maggots on after the worm. As I use barbless it keeps the worm on the hook and by pushing the maggots up the hook a bit it leaves the point clear.
    I do something similar though I've found just moving the bait now and again to be just as effective.

Funny thing is if this question was asked in the Victorian era, you would find some old beard who would have a diary of what happens to worms injected with air, water, beer, heroin, adrenaline, insulin and earwax...and it would not seem out of place on a bookshelf....sitting next to revolutionary documents like the bristol stool chart and how to debunk an airheaded rebuttal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast