Women in Angling

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seem to be more females into sea fishing rather than coarse fishing in my neck of the woods.

flightliner

Reaction score
After WW11 when life was getting back to (nearly) normal there used to be two trains every Saturday and Sunday leave Sheffields Victoria station for Nottinghamshires river Trent and Lincolnshires river Witham.
It was not unusual for whole families to be beside both rivers enjoying the atmosphere/ sunshine/ each other/ nature/ and the relaxed nature of the fishing , particularly during the fifties after so much hardship and deprivation.
They were for me and hundreds of city kids such exciting days as they were for everyone.
TBH I don't think days like that where women fished in such numbers will ever return, sad !

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am all for women anglers, we have women boxers, mma fighters, women on the frontline fighting in Afghanistan....Women bishops.... We need to stop this misogynistic nonsense and let them show us how its done ...any woman who can tie a 24 spade in March winds demands your respect.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I am all for women anglers, we have women boxers, mma fighters, women on the frontline fighting in Afghanistan....Women bishops.... We need to stop this misogynistic nonsense and let them show us how its done ...any woman who can tie a 24 spade in March winds demands your respect.

yep that confirms what I was thinking !,...….your not just ordinary stupid

theartist

Reaction score
Just went for a walk down the canal and the only group I saw setting up was a family of three all fishing, two women one guy, we worked as one to scare off the cormorant that landed, hope they have a nice day.

retrobob

Reaction score
I do occasionally see women fishing - would love to see more though.

This editorial in this month's Improve Your Coarse Fishing was interesting, the editor was both embarrassed but pleased to have a woman on the cover for the first time in the 30+ years that mag has been running.

peterjg

Reaction score
My wife is a good fisher woman and sometimes comes with me in the summer - IT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED! Women should be in the kitchen making cakes or washing, maybe cutting the grass for me, cleaning the windows, doing the ironing, a bit of hovering, perhaps a bit of decorating. They should not be allowed to go fishing and while we are at it let's take away their right to vote.

flightliner

Reaction score
I do occasionally see women fishing - would love to see more though.

This editorial in this month's Improve Your Coarse Fishing was interesting, the editor was both embarrassed but pleased to have a woman on the cover for the first time in the 30+ years that mag has been running.
My daughter was on the front page of Angling Times about thirty years ago holding a large carp.

Philip

Reaction score
I once managed to get a female friend of mines first fishing trip published as an article in an angling monthly, complete with a photo of her trying to pose with a double figure Carp held by her fingertips

…well it was all slimy and icky you see..:eek:mg:

shane99

Reaction score
I think its the lack of loos that put a lot off.

Spot on, I have joined a water that has toilets & the Mrs came with me Saturday for that very reason.

Sometimes its nice to have a day out fishing with the Mrs.

theartist

Reaction score
The loos are an issue, where I often see ladies fishing is near the local supermarket, it's very hard for women to spend a penny quickly like us in semi urban areas but if you're in the middle of nowhere it's the most natural thing to do, I wouldn't let it put me off to much if I was a woman reading this.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The loos are an issue, where I often see ladies fishing is near the local supermarket, it's very hard for women to spend a penny quickly like us in semi urban areas but if you're in the middle of nowhere it's the most natural thing to do, I wouldn't let it put me off to much if I was a woman reading this.

I am suprised some money sensitive nostrils havent already sniffed out the market potential in all this!! If Trakker or Fox or Korum could design a camo bucket that a woman would feel "proud" to sit on (maybe add some pink camo?) or sold with its own bivvy for privacy... It is easier for men though and jokes aside I like the fact a trowel and a plastic bottle can extend the waterside pleasure without taking up time. Alcohol gel was a good addition to the armoury and it makes a cheerful addition to the sanitation standard. The non perfumed ones double as gel fuel to heat water and other uses too ;)

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
I think its the lack of loos that put a lot off.

That always baffles me. They will shop for six hours straight without a break. Thirty minutes on the River bank and their peeing themselves, must be the sound of running water that does it. It can be funny though, some years ago my Lady came with me for a walk up the Derwent at Church Wilne. Soon as she saw the water she needed a wee. As there was nobody about for miles she nipped behind a clump of trees. After five minutes she let out a scream so I went to investigate. There certainly was no one around, except for about 30 sheep, which had surrounded her. I managed to drag her out, still with her knickers round her ankles. Bit like old times really. Pete.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
That always baffles me. They will shop for six hours straight without a break. Thirty minutes on the River bank and their peeing themselves, must be the sound of running water that does it. It can be funny though, some years ago my Lady came with me for a walk up the Derwent at Church Wilne. Soon as she saw the water she needed a wee. As there was nobody about for miles she nipped behind a clump of trees. After five minutes she let out a scream so I went to investigate. There certainly was no one around
, except for about 30 sheep, which had surrounded her. I managed to drag her out, still with her knickers round her ankles. Bit like old times really. Pete.
Fished one of those lakes by the church at Wilne Pete.

bracket

Reaction score
Fished one of those lakes by the church at Wilne Pete.

flight. The lakes were OK, but the river back of the firework factory was "mega". All roach and rafts of chub off the far bank. My son in law ,Chris, still fishes it and its black with barbel now. Not sure that's a good thing. Pete.

shane99

Reaction score
Ok sorted the toilet issue with the wife, she now needs me to ask the gnats to keep away, that is the next hurdle ....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Tell them that stinging nettles are nature’s toilet paper. That should give them something else to think about for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk