Women in Angling

Reaction score
Since my wife and I had our autistic son,she hasn't fished,so over 19 years now sadly,I enjoyed that bit of banter that we had,she caught tench to 6lbs,carp to 8lbs and bream to 4,occasionally we go out for the day and I fish(usually my birthday),she lost the urge to fish,a bit like sex really lol...

theartist

Reaction score
Have/will you take your son fishing? Seems perfect for the family, that's the sort of thing commercials are great for

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Since my wife and I had our autistic son,she hasn't fished,so over 19 years now sadly,I enjoyed that bit of banter that we had,she caught tench to 6lbs,carp to 8lbs and bream to 4,occasionally we go out for the day and I fish(usually my birthday),she lost the urge to fish,a bit like sex really lol...

So you mainly go on your own Alan, fishing that is, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Have/will you take your son fishing? Seems perfect for the family, that's the sort of thing commercials are great for

Rob,I have two sons,the autistic lad is interested in Thomas the tank and steam engines,likes horses too,the youngest isn't the slightest bit interested even though I've took him and he has caught 15 bream to 6lb(one day) and a tench and a small carp another,saddens me,a lot actually,as I'd love to show them the ropes and the joys of fishing...

theartist

Reaction score
Rob,I have two sons,the autistic lad is interested in Thomas the tank and steam engines,likes horses too,the youngest isn't the slightest bit interested even though I've took him and he has caught 15 bream to 6lb(one day) and a tench and a small carp another,saddens me,a lot actually,as I'd love to show them the ropes and the joys of fishing...

To be fair Thomas the Tank Engine is pretty cool too, its always a day out in the fresh air even if it's a picnic job, I've lost count of the big fish I've managed to catch when on said family adventure, it's amazing what happens when you just go with the flow, they'll remember those days in the sun in a few years

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
I think it’s great to get anyone regardless of sex interested in fishing. I used to work with a lady she got divorced & eventually remarried to a mad keen angler. Now she fishes as much as him and beats him in most matches. With him complaining she usually steals his rigs . They really are a Wonderful couple
I wish I could get mine interested in fishing or in fact anything I do (that’s another story)
So yeah no matter your sex, gender or not in these confusing days of genders. It’s great to see anyone fishing.
Can’t get my daughter interested at all, a few of my six sons fish on occasion but again very rarely and just borrow my kit.

peterjg

Reaction score
My wife comes with me sometimes in the warmer months. She has caught carp over 20lbs, 7lb tench, crucians, nice roach, etc. Her favourite method is swingtipping, I set the rod up and she does the rest. I do everything I càn to distract her - she makes the tea, gets out the sarnies, etc but she still beats me! I put her success down to pheremones - I once asked her if I could put my boilies down her knickers - she didn't seem to keen on that idea?!

Reaction score
My wife comes with me sometimes in the warmer months. She has caught carp over 20lbs, 7lb tench, crucians, nice roach, etc. Her favourite method is swingtipping, I set the rod up and she does the rest. I do everything I càn to distract her - she makes the tea, gets out the sarnies, etc but she still beats me! I put her success down to pheremones - I once asked her if I could put my boilies down her knickers - she didn't seem to keen on that idea?!

Don't be put off,you cant beat the fera'moans' ya knows...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Don't be put off,you cant beat the fera'moans' ya knows...

My mum came fishing with dad and myself occasionally on the Thames, now and then she would have a go and catch fish after fish about one a minute, when she handed the rod back it was back to normal, one an hour. Every time it was the same; used to fiss dad and me off proper.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree! My 4 year old daughter is keen to try fishing, I'll be taking her to a trout lake with my dad Richard in a couple of weeks. I don't know who is more excited!

With Kirsty doing a fine job of late editing, and our better halves sometimes on the bank with us, is there a better time for the promotion of more ladies fishing? Whats your thoughts?

Also found this page which is cool Ladies National Championship - The Angling Trust

Another Dave

Reaction score
I think its the lack of loos that put a lot off.

That's a really good point. My youngest sees piddling in the bushes as one of the highlights of any trip, but as she gets older i assume that's going to change.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are very few ladies on the coarse fishing scene but I do see a fair few when fly fishing . . . .

My daughter loved to come night fishing with me when she was younger but more for the camp meals and the Smoors than the fishing in all honesty. With all of my children I tried to teach them to enjoy the wilderness and to learn about nature.

The trick I found was to break the day up into fishing for a couple of hours and then to stop and do something different for a; ottle whole to avoid the boredom.

My first wife was a very good angler, as her Dad had fished all his life and had taught her, but my next one was Norwegian and she simply couldn't understand why we go to all that trouble just to throw them back . . . . Norwegians fish for the pot, typically . . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
There's plenty of room for more female anglers. They're probably better anglers than most men. we've had fishing to our selves far too long.
Commercial fisheries have everything females could need, that is apart from a make up shelf in tackle shops but if tey asked they would be accommodated.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My cousin Denise, she was a really top angler.

Angling Trust News: Denise Hudgell victorious in Ladies National with 33.75kgs haul

I have started my Granddaughters fishing and they really enjoy it.

9b9b2185156f12babc1ba26b1b80a631.jpg

f5e577f179ffc4b473d073085af2e96b.jpg

Latest grandsons is two I may get him at it later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I have only ever seen 2 ladies having a go and very competent they were too! My wife has no interest at all and even my daughters who between them have bought me a couple of fishing chairs and a bivvy are not inclined to come with me to try them out! Mind you I earn brownie points when I beg them to come and they refuse! :rolleyes:

I even offered to introduce them to Tigger and they were still unimpressed!:wh

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Even though I'm in my 70's I think I'm more modern than most people a fraction of my age who think they are Liberal and modern.

Firstly, I see absolutely no reason why women fishing should be segregated in matches, its not a physical sport, some would question if it even is a sport or not.

Secondly, I don't understand why people can not just view people as people rarther than, x sex, y race etc.

Third, In an age where young people are tucked up inside and are becoming more and more alien to the real world. Why is fishing not encouraged by schools? Come to think of it gardening, hiking too, we wonder why our kids have vitamin deficiencies! Kids nowadays think fish come from morrisons fish counter and vegetables from the EU for gods sake!

My son and his wife both fish, I encouge my grandkids to give it a go regardless of their gender. Maybe if more people brought their children up as people rarther than stereotyping them maybe fishing would be more diverse?

Last edited: