Seagulls losing all fear of humams.

mikench

Reaction score
If that's a positive omen I will look on urban gulls( yuck) with a different attitude.

theartist

Reaction score
It's a sign Mike - One egg that means one goal, seagulls make a noise when they land - Dunk, so that's Lewis Dunk from a corner. All you need is Citeh to draw a blank and you will love those gulls.

Now I'm off to find a Hornets nest in time for next weeks cup final :D

bezzer

Reaction score
One wonders how long it will be before they are officially classed as vermin.

Not anytime soon. Herring Gulls are on the 'Protected' List. Nest removal and egg oiling is permitted and licenses can be obtained to destroy them for specific circumstances.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The human race has made them what they are.

daniel121

Reaction score
The human race has made them what they are.

Yes you are correct, the same can be said for most wild animals S63. Take the Cormorant for example, as much as they are hated by fishermen, they faced a really simplistic question, a choice between staying at sea and dying because of the pollution from humans or coming inland for food!

daniel121

Reaction score
Not anytime soon. Herring Gulls are on the 'Protected' List. Nest removal and egg oiling is permitted and licenses can be obtained to destroy them for specific circumstances.

Hi bezzer name from the past, hope you are well? :)

Yes so it seems, I did not realise that mate. I would guess there would have to be unequivocal evidence that they are carrying disease or are invasive before that will happen, I'll be dead and buried by then.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think in this case they are just one of natures great adapters, there is not a situation they have not exploited. Ploughed fields, rubbish tips, throw away human food, balcony's and roofs just cliff edges to them for nesting. In a world where nature cannot cope with human expansion its no problem for these birds. They are aggressive and will attack humans for food but this was a another line crossed to me. To nest right on a busy pavement is a new one. I walked up to the bird because I wanted it to move but it didn't, stood right next to it and not bat an eyelid. Only when I put my hand down right next to its head did it move and then just hopped off and straight back on again. I was probably breaking the law but I just wanted to know if it had an egg under it because I was amazed.probably two or three eggs originally, not hard to guess why one left.
I am an admirer of them for the above reasons but they are also a pest round here. I put a canvas tarpaulin over my neighbors shed once and they pecked it all off, why; who knows. I watch them clean up all the meal worms on a bird table and seen them fly iinto a pub and nick a blokes steak, no fear and if they nest on your balcony/roof, the smell and noise is awful. I tried putting a bowl of water on my windowsill for the sparrows and they just knock it off and break it and some of the stuff I have seen them swallow you wouldn't believe.
Yet, a protected bird, why, they are everywhere. One day the red arrows flew over and they all rose up, the sky was black with them and they have started to fly at night, I have noticed that lately, probably competing with the urban foxes for takeaway left overs.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Latest picture, no egg and these two making a fuss between them when I went near, knew it wouldn't last long. Funny how we castigate mankind for the demise of so many species yet, when they fight back, we don't like it. Seagulls, otters, cormorants, mink, rats, mice, rock doves. I am not really defending them but it is a bit of a contradiction don't you think.

Last edited: