Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Is this forum in danger

A lot of my mispent youth was spent on the top deck of a Route Master and if I wasn’t on a bus I’d be on the tube, it was so cheap in London.

We got a shock when moving to Kent, the fayres are really high, thank goodness I’m now a pensioner with a bus pass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    A lot of my mispent youth was spent on the top deck of a Route Master and if I wasn’t on a bus I’d be on the tube, it was so cheap in London
    When I was on school holidays back in the 50s I used to occasionally have to spend a whole day on a London bus, because my dad was driving the number 52 bus and my mum was the conductress. I only had to do it 2 or 3 times mind.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 17-05-2019 at 18:26.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've been enjoying the public transport nostalgia, so here's my contribution. To get to school, I walked to a bus stop, took the bus to Chester station, took a train to Rock Ferry, swapped to an electric train to Birkenhead Central, walked from there to a bus stop and took another bus to the school. And the other way round at 4pm. Now, I live on a road where we're gridlocked at 8am and 3pm by the cars and taxis lined up to collect the apparently legless kids at the local school. I feel a bit sorry for them - my daily journey was a pain, but it gave plenty of space to hang out with your school friends and see the world a bit.

My school trip of 11 miles switched from walking to the station then 10 miles by train with a mile walk at the other end to catching a bus from the same station to the school gates 11 miles away when the railway shut in 1972 - now finally reopen in 2018. We had a lot more fun on the train...

Blog Entries

AT primary school I walked uphill for a mile, sometimes in snow a foot deep in winter.
    Going home was easy so we ran all the way , sometimes climbing down a high wall into the local grammar schools playing field where we would use the long jump and sandpit .
    Always loved running even now but a bit harder these days but still do a bit.
    Come sec mod it was four miles away in the old west riding of Yorkshire in a village setting.
    At times I rode the bus and walked the last mile, again uphill but in nice weather I would leg it all the way.
    Loved the cross country, allways in front the first three miles until I came to the village pond where there were guys I knew fishing so always stayed for a chat for ten minutes or so then set (back up the hill) off to arrive last.
    The PE teacher knew I could do better but he never worked out what I did lol !
    Last edited by flightliner; 17-05-2019 at 19:18.

I walked 25 miles uphill and through fields in my bare feet and then caught a bus for 5 miles and finally ran the last 15 miles. As school was then finishing I did the reverse ; hardly worth it tha nos!

Last edited by mikench; 17-05-2019 at 19:27.

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention Mike, all that running I did back then was on my bare knees ! Lol

Luxury.....................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    of becoming a clique? A bit too safe maybe? Who gets to decide who stays or go!
    In short mate no I don't think so, however I would guess it would have too depend on your definition of clique. If that's a tight group of friendly people who often know eachother in real life then - yes but in the real sense of a clique no.

Look this is how I see it, I agree almost 100% with Ray Roberts in post #7. Unfortunately I have a feeling he may well be taking about me in some way because I got involved with heavy political debate. Anyway to put cliques in context if you look else where in the fishing forum world you will see cliques where the moderating team and site owner forms part of said cliques, and this is when you end up with bullet proof members name calling, trouble causing and even openly boasting abou having 'diplomatic immunity'. Absolutely non of that happen's here, Peter and the guys do a first class job of keeping this site free of that unpleasant behaviour.

A few followed me over here, I took a break away while they got themselves banned or got board. Personally I think this forum is spot on as I've said in the past I'm glad it doesn't have sensitive topics up for debate, it helps keep the forum friendly and welcoming.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

When I walked the two miles to school I was skinny. Now I've got my bus pass I've gone fat. Moral is, bus passes make you fat!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123