Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  128
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Putting the magic back into fishing!

Should the government make people purchase the rod license PRIOR (before) they can purchase the rod incase they wish to use it for the purpose it was made for?

For firearms you need the certificate before you can purchase the gun...

When you buy a TV you are expected to have your "details" forwarded onto the BBC and TV licensing incase you take it home and plug it in.

If you intend on using roads you need to give ownership of your car to the dvla and be given the priviledge of becoming its registered keeper.

It might prevent ALL poaching or Tresspassing where a rod was the weapon of choice.

So with fishing rods only being useful for fishing, should the government make everyone who buys a fishing rod prove at the point of sale that they can prove they are licensed to use it or be made to purchase the license and perhaps give some account of what the intentions of using it are or perhaps where they intend to use it and for how long? Thus extending it to ALL fishing equipment over an extended period? (what else is a rod or hooks or the reel actually made for?)

Some shops can legally track your purchases using rfid technology and that is perfectly lawful in the UK so what could delay in having 100% revenue and crime deterant ??
    The alternative could be to simply TAX fishing to improve it.
    Last edited by Weirdoh; 23-05-2019 at 08:01.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Putting the magic back into fishing!

The system works just fine,unless the choice is made not to buy a rod licence,a bit like illegal firearms,knives used specifically as weapons etc,every home needs knives,in fact certain hobbies/interests couldn't be done without them,also as fishing rods are not used as weapons it would be unfair to stop non-anglers buying rods being given as gifts.

There you are Weirdoh,it wasn't that hard was it,even though there was the obvious underlying link to your dislike of rod licencing... With also a thread title with no relationship with the post that opened it...
    Last edited by whitty; 23-05-2019 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    The system works just fine,unless the choice is made not to buy a rod licence,a bit like illegal firearms,knives used specifically as weapons etc,every home needs knives,in fact certain hobbies/interests couldn't be done without them,also as fishing rods are not used as weapons it would be unfair to stop non-anglers buying rods being given as gifts.

There you are Weirdoh,it wasn't that hard was it,even though there was the obvious underlying link to your dislike of rod licencing... With also a thread title with no relationship with the post that opened it...
    Yes, so we have both covered the first base = intent.
    So if you owned a pond with Carp in it, gave me permission to fish the pond (after we agree t&c's ie barbless hooks no keepnets etc..) and you got £10 for my presence, I got to be photographed with "massive girl", but no license was asked to be seen nor was anyone in possession of one, who has suffered loss of revenue or been harmed by the intentions of fishing with a fishing rod? My intentions to fish your pond were reasoned out between both of us and amicably and friendly, where is the offence commited and to whom is it committed (..."it is an offence to fish using a rod without a license"..)

?

I still fail to see who is going to complain or report a crime in this scenario?
    Primarily because my intentions were made available before hand in an open and honest way between two parties.
    The license man becomes a third party interloper to two men making a business deal? The issuer of the license has no other intention but to limit our freedom to do business and creates a financial loss by its presence. Or I am missing the point here. A crime is a crime.
    A soldier who carries a gun and kills someone because that is what he intended to do is not being accused of murder because the state has immunized his crime (killing someone with intent is murder).
    So if everyone was allowed to carry a gun for the intentions of protecting his family from an intruder but had no certificate his intentions are not changed by that.
    A poacher with a EA license in his pocket is not going to avoid a criminal complaint once caught with fish he had no permission to take (theft) or not be seen as a tresspasser (civil complaint) once on land he had not gained permission to enter onto. The license changes nothing of the outcome nor the offenders intent.
    Last edited by Weirdoh; 23-05-2019 at 09:52.

Blog Entries

I have several vintage split cane rods that were purchased with no intention of using them other than to adorn the walls of my study.

You are arguing the the number of angels on a pin head inasmuch as the law states that a licence is required in order to fish. End of.

While you might not like the idea of having to buy a licence to fish is really non sequitur, and remember that no riparian owner has the right to over ruke, or ignore the laws of the land.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

To be perfectly honest, for £30 a year I fail to see any gripe about paying for a license.

A rod license at £30 a year for two rods that works out at just over 8p or 4p a rod a day if you cannot be bothered to pay do not go fishing it is as simple as that.
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

We have to face the fact that there are a minority that hate to pay for anything they think they can duck, tv licence, poll tax, imcome tax and of course the EA licence. Funny thing is many of this minority are more than happy to accept benefits from the state that others have paid their dues for, there’s a name for people like this but not on this forum.

Blog Entries

Nobody likes to pay,for anything,but that's the way it is and has been for as long as I've fished...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Putting the magic back into fishing!c.f.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdoh View Post
    Yes, so we have both covered the first base = intent.
    So if you owned a pond with Carp in it, gave me permission to fish the pond (after we agree t&c's ie barbless hooks no keepnets etc..) and you got £10 for my presence, I got to be photographed with "massive girl", but no license was asked to be seen nor was anyone in possession of one, who has suffered loss of revenue or been harmed by the intentions of fishing with a fishing rod? My intentions to fish your pond were reasoned out between both of us and amicably and friendly, where is the offence commited and to whom is it committed (..."it is an offence to fish using a rod without a license"..)

?

I still fail to see who is going to complain or report a crime in this scenario?
    Primarily because my intentions were made available before hand in an open and honest way between two parties.
    The license man becomes a third party interloper to two men making a business deal? The issuer of the license has no other intention but to limit our freedom to do business and creates a financial loss by its presence. Or I am missing the point here. A crime is a crime.
    A soldier who carries a gun and kills someone because that is what he intended to do is not being accused of murder because the state has immunized his crime (killing someone with intent is murder).
    So if everyone was allowed to carry a gun for the intentions of protecting his family from an intruder but had no certificate his intentions are not changed by that.
    A poacher with a EA license in his pocket is not going to avoid a criminal complaint once caught with fish he had no permission to take (theft) or not be seen as a tresspasser (civil complaint) once on land he had not gained permission to enter onto. The license changes nothing of the outcome nor the offenders intent.
    LOLgiving the rear end a chance would be nice.

I don't feel too good so repetitive claptrap is irksome to me.
    Last edited by whitty; 23-05-2019 at 13:57.

The ROD licence is a bargain at £30 for two rods! Weirdoh you have to have one whether you fish a river, stream, lake or even your neighbours garden pond! It has nothing to do with the water owners permission or payment for a dayticket!

Its the law and someone who flagrantly breaches it isn't deserving of being a member of this forum. It's called Fishing Magic not Fishing Illegal!
    Last edited by mikench; 23-05-2019 at 16:44.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast