The Healing Properties of Fishing

theartist

Reaction score
I was reading the other thread so didn't want to hijack that other than to wish anyone who is suffering poor health a speedy recovery but it got me thinking whether it's better to force yourself out when possible than stay indoors? I know sometimes it can be really hard, but almost impossible means anything is possible.

It's safe to say we're all falling apart and being patched up by the docs and meds and some are worse than others but is there something in being out catching fish that can actually heal?

I'm not talking rubbing yourself with tench slime (who knows could work) but after a week indoors working from home I'm usually in agony with joint pain yet I can walk miles along a river bank, going shopping I can stand around twenty mins before I need to sit somewhere yet I can stand all day trotting the float. Same with the flu, staying in dosing up doesn't seem to work as well as dosing up with a quick pop down the river. The only times I've struggled on the bank is when I've carried too much gear affecting the ****y ticker, my aches and pains are probably trivial compared to some though, if fishing brings on pain is there any way of changing how you do it?

Athletes use oxygen tents to heal injuries and inflammation, the air outside is much better than in your house, sitting by a lake or stream has to be better than sitting in front of a tv, pc or tablet. The sun heals too and the mind is occupied.

Anyone else think going fishing can actually heal better than not going?

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm ready to agree fishing is good for you under lots of circumstances, and making the effort to go despite x, y and z is often richly repaid. It really lifts your mood, gives you a change of scene and all the benefits of some fresh air, bit of exercise, and a few hours being "taken out of yourself".

I'll bet I'm not the only one on here who has been working round a few angling handicaps for a long time, and that whole business of finding places you like that you can get to, getting the gear slimmed down, getting it your swim, setting up to get as comfortable sitting or standing as you can, getting out and catching on a January or February afternoon..... it all becomes part of the game, as another challenge to overcome.

I've found that once you know what's going on with illnesses or injuries, the "known knowns", as the man famously said) provided they're not so bad as to prevent you going at all, and that can be the case, they can be put in the background, and be something to put up with and work around. But things that are new and worrying ("known unknowns") are in a different category, for me at least, and I can't rely on fishing to take my mind off them. Instead the reverse happens, and I'll end up thinking about it on the bank while fishing in a fairly useless and unrewarding manner. It probably depends on a person's way of dealing with that kind of stress, and that probably applies beyond health stuff, too. I can recall times - the occasions, for instance, when I seemed about to split up with one girlfriend, and might or might not be rescued from oblivion by another girl who might or not split up with her man, that type of uncertainty -when it was pointless for me to go fishing, as I might as well stay in and fret about it, as that was what I was plainly destined to do.

But overall, I agree: much better to fish if you can!

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know about physical healing but it's possible. I now follow PC's advice and attitude and just go . I have yet to regret it. Even if I blank I am out in the fresh air observing wildlife and often meeting another angler and having a chat. Even sat under the brolly making a brew I come over all Arthur Ransome and feel like a kid again. Mentally I'm sure it works wonders.

lambert1

Reaction score
Absolutely! I took an enforced career change five years ago following redundancy to working outside and although the money is much less the health benefits are very noticeable. I rarely if ever get a cold now and am outside the majority of the time. So much so that I can only stay in doors for a few hours before I need to go out again. I could not work in an office now. With regard to fishing, my time on the bank helps me mentally as I am very much at peace with myself and can lose myself in watching a float making its steady progress down stream. I can do that for hours and be quite content and when the float disappears the anticipation of what made it do that is great. I get to see so much wild life too that I might otherwise miss. I always feel better after a trip to the river bank, regardless of the outcome.

peterjg

Reaction score
Totally agree with the previous posts and like lambert1 I was also made redundant from an office based job. I hated it and became a self employed part-time gardener, now fully retired.
Yes, there is no doubt that fishing is good for you - both physically and mentally!

rich66

Reaction score
Both physically and mentally I’d say yes. Been a rough few years for me & without fishing I think I’d have gone under.

“When I go fishing I lose my mind and find my soul” is a quote I often think of.

Reaction score
Well it hasn't helped my sanity,ask the missus...:batty::cupcake::madgrin:

Reaction score
I am in the situation Kev states,the known unknowns,I know I hurt,I don't know why I hurt,I've got a five year front and back endoscopy check next Tuesday,always a concern,because I've had polyps,I've had my ultrasound aorta check this afternoon and it measured 1.6 and apparently it's bad it it's 3.2,God knows what,miles,cms,inches,who knows,I explained about the fact I had polyps in my gall bladder,he didn't look(thats how they check),and now the hereditary arthritic condition,which causes soft tissue damage,he had never heard of that,neither have most GP's,gets a bit depressing after a while when you feel a bit better for a couple of days as then feel poop the next.;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I remember my dad retiring and planning to do a lot of fishing and other things but he never did, sat in a chair reading most of the time and he went downhill quite quickly. I don’t know if it would have made a difference but I always thought it would have done. I have had to rethink what I did a bit but yep, fresh air, open air, just enjoying the world is a great thing. Morale is important, if you can keep that going I am sure it helps physically, the mind and body are very inter connected. And sunlight is good for vitamin D plus it helps a well being feeling. Fresh air is better for oxygen which is essential for healing. And just taking your mind off problems for a spell is a factor.

Reaction score
I've been fishing regularly since packing up work,the only times I haven't been is through not feeling right or when the father in law was passing and just after,even though I haven't been for a couple of weeks,I've been to the Ivel for walks down the river three times,I went and watched different mates on different waters fishing,I've been for fifty minute walks every day,I will see saturday...

mikench

Reaction score
Do a PC and make the effort Alan. Give that new rod some stick.

We all have ailments as we age. Only last week I visited my GP to complain about erectile disfunction . He asked me when I first noticed it. " once last night and twice this morning" I jauntily replied.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Do you know what guys,if I was able to fish the water I mentioned with the crucians and tench in it,or the river,I'd go,getting some bites from fish i want to catch is key,the deep lake I've been doing well on is in the throes of spawning,so is going to be boring on a hot day. Anyway I'm going to have a fekin huge single malt and really do myself in,lol.;):wh;)

mikench

Reaction score
Do you know what guys,if I was able to fish the water I mentioned with the crucians and tench in it,or the river,I'd go,getting some bites from fish i want to catch is key,the deep lake I've been doing well on is in the throes of spawning,so is going to be boring on a hot day. Anyway I'm going to have a fekin huge single malt and really do myself in,lol.;):wh;)

Proud of you Alan ; a big spoonful of this will do you the power of good!:rolleyes:

Virol - See what it Contains | My late brother gave me this … | Flickr

bracket

Reaction score
It is not too difficult to appreciate that 8 hours by the waterside is far more beneficial than 8 hours in the factory. I learnt this from the first day I started work at 15 and have fished at every opportunity since. There must be a therapeutic quality about angling as the only serious aliments I have suffered so far is old age and poverty. Still managing to survive, so yes a good dose of angling does the business for me. Pete.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pete always nails it.
Fishing helped me in hospital, could see some of the south downs and Brighton marina and just kept thiking I am going to get out of here and have some of that again one day. So I was a really good patient, did all the excercises plus, took all the pills; gave me a little bit of oomph.