Close season vote results

sam vimes

Reaction score
According to most opinions on here and all social media (despite the consultation vote being almost 50/50) there is only benefit to be had from the close season going, The EA will have no need to blame anyone, nor will any other environmental groups as the rivers and streams will thrive with our presence.

Unless we've got it all wrong and we get hoisted by our own petard of course

Even those against the closed season, including myself, won't know what might happen. However, given that so many rivers seem to be in decline anyway, I doubt we are going to see any improvements whether the closed season goes or not.

theartist

Reaction score
Even those against the closed season, including myself, won't know what might happen. However, given that so many rivers seem to be in decline anyway, I doubt we are going to see any improvements whether the closed season goes or not.

Agreed but some declines are reversible, it will sure be interesting finding out although maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves given only 49% voted for it going, would that percentage be enough to warrant a decision that cannot be reversed?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Agreed but some declines are reversible, it will sure be interesting finding out although maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves given only 49% voted for it going, would that percentage be enough to warrant a decision that cannot be reversed?

I don't believe for one moment that a dubious angler's vote will make a jot of difference. They might use it to justify any decision taken, but it won't be the real reason for any decision.

theartist

Reaction score
I don't believe for one moment that a dubious angler's vote will make a jot of difference. They might use it to justify any decision taken, but it won't be the real reason for any decision.

Given the the vote was so close they cannot use it to justify any decision as it won't please half the licence holders.

The result of this consultation has thrown a curve ball as I'm not sure anyone thought it would be that tight, I just hope whatever they decide is set in stone so that whoever loses doesn't throw their toys out the pram demanding a re vote a'la brexit

sam vimes

Reaction score
You can't give people several options and expect conclusive results. Even if it's a simple yes or no people will just argue endlessly over unasked propositions. The way that the EA have framed the questions was always going to end up with an inconclusive result. Ultimately, they'll do whatever they wanted to do in the first place. Asking anglers is at best a sop, at worst it's just a way of having a suitable scapegoat.

Reaction score
Not only that,you can't add the two together,that was poor,if anything it should have been one or the other,then possibly a vote on when the best timing of it,later....

Reaction score
All things being equal,the only reason I could imagine the EA would allow the end of a river closed season is economics,I don't think anglers opinions really enter into it,in fact I would imagine the non-anglers might be listened to more.

Philip

Reaction score
I must be even more cynical than most on here. I reckon that the EA will be only too keen to see the back of the closed season. At the moment they are obliged to police the closed season. What better way to save a few quid than doing away with it. However, if you can pin the blame for it on someone else should the wheels fall off, so much the better. I might go even further and suggest that the EA would be only too happy to then blame every failing they possibly can on the lack of a closed season.

Nice to see you back after your sabbatical.

Crikey your even more cynical than me. I am not sure they will use it to blame everything on lack of close season as it will simply circle back to them as being the final decision makers. They will see it as a way to cut cost and hassle however.

Shame if the close season goes. Although I dont think its fit for purpose its one of those few occasions I do see things with rose tinted spectacles.

gaz40k

Reaction score
Sabbaticals are pretty easy when you're working 12 hour days, including weekends.

I know that feeling! Currently sitting in a gatehouse on a 12 hour shift. That said, I use their internet to come on here and don't tend to post at home as i have fat fingers and my phone , a small keyboard.