Float rod for a nine year old starting out.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Asking on behalf of a friend. He has a local water and took his boy there and caught tench and crucians, more than I can achieve at the moment!

This was using an ancient fibreglass rod that had been in the loft for decades!

He thinks a 10ft rod will be too long, Needs to be a sensible price in case it’s a five minute wonder but not so cheap it weighs a ton and is no fun to fish with at all.

I’m not sure what to suggest and ideas?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sports direct usually have a pellet waggler or somesuch down to ten or twelve quid, and they ain't bad.
This, for example:Diem Float Rod | Float Rod | Fishing Rod
No way is ten feet too long for a nine-year-old, I was a feeble specimen when I started at that age, with an eight-foot rod made of ASH, would you believe. Seriously not light! Kids then (pre glass) would have killed for a rod as light and long as the cheapest glass one now.
The Shakespeare "Omni" range are also good value.

mikench

Reaction score
A second hand Drennan puddle chucker 10' float road. Its the first decent rod i bought and is nice and light and can handle most small fish and more! It's also nice to use. It's the seven series .

bracket

Reaction score
Three years ago a non angling friend of mine asked my advice on where to take his 9 year old grandson to fish. I suggested that they came with me the following week. I set them up with poles at 7m, on a local lake complex and both the lad and his Grandad were soon catching roach, rudd and skimmers. The lad was only a slip of a thing, but handled 7m with no bother, so to confirm Keith M's advice a 10ft rod minimum, will be fine and the Shakespeare range he mentioned are light and come in around £25 to £30, which equates to a fish and chip supper for three in Dorset. That ain't going to break the bank. After that initial session, my friend and his grandson got the bug and three years on are fishing regularly. I join them occasionally and it is very satisfying to see the progress they both have made. So a minor triumph for angling as two more join the fold. Pete.

ManchesterFisher

Reaction score
I have just got into fishing at 33. I'm using a 6' NGT Carp Stalker rod with a Shimano Sienna 1000 reel. I'm sure you could get better for cheaper second hand but I'm happy with my setup. It would probably suit a child.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just got into fishing at 33. I'm using a 6' NGT Carp Stalker rod with a Shimano Sienna 1000 reel. I'm sure you could get better for cheaper second hand but I'm happy with my setup. It would probably suit a child.

That rod is a bit heavy for catching small rudd and roach, for carp it would be perfect but the 1000 reel wouldn’t be up to the task.

bracket

Reaction score
As a ryder to rod recommendations a good functional fixed spool reel would be useful. I can personally recommend this one:
DSC_0036.jpg
Three years ago I was mistakenly sent one instead of the rod I ordered. On contacting the tackle dealer to rectify the error he asked me to post it back to him and he would refund the postage I said "No you send me a stamped addressed jiffy bag and I will send it on. That was 3 years ago ang I'm still waiting. Mean time I have used it regularly for fishing method feeder loaded with 10lb line and caught rafts of carp up to 15lb no bother. I have never oiled it or changed the line, it is just chucked in the bottom of my box. I have mistreated it in every possible way and it continues to fish a treat. The only time I have cleaned it was prior to taking the photo an hour ago. I cannot fault it. Go Outdoors are doing them for £10. Pete.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Having been through a very similar journey some 3 or 4 years ago with my own lad, I would recommend a 10ft carbon pellet waggler at the bottom end of any tackle manufacturer's range. It will be light enough for him to barely know he's got it, but also a little bit more robust than a "traditional" float rod, which in our case has turned out to be very handy as it was regularly stuck in bushes or trees in the early days! Fortunately he's now 12 and much more aware of where the rod tip ends up!