A rule too far?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just read this on Facebook and was taken aback.

“To All our customers, be reminded if you catch a 40lb+ fish on the complex, please report it instantly to our management onsite Anyone found not reporting there capture instantly will be asked to leave and not come back.”

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Just read this on Facebook and was taken aback.

“To All our customers, be reminded if you catch a 40lb+ fish on the complex, please report it instantly to our management onsite Anyone found not reporting there capture instantly will be asked to leave and not come back.”

I presume that’s a carp? If so please consider me to have caught one, not reported it and ban me forever from said complex!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Something that's becoming increasing common. The most extreme I've heard of was a fishery that insisted that the bailiffs/fishery manager be called to photograph and weigh all carp over a certain size. They've got a business to promote.

Philip

Reaction score
Its not so much the rule as the fact they have put a measure on it that gets me. 40lb.

apparently at 39lb.15oz ..no one cares :)

john step

Reaction score
Oh dear I weighed it and it ONLY went 39. It went straight back:wh

Philip

Reaction score
Its a bits nuts although I dont think this kind of rule is that unusual on some circuit waters and there are some very strange rules on the face of it. For example I think it was at Acton Burnell there was a rule that you were only allowed to take one photo of each side of the fish, although to be fair this was to stop anglers leaving fish out of the water for an excessively long time for photos and weighing.

At the end of the day its the owners call and good luck to them. Personally nothing puts me off more than a notice board with a list of rules at the entrance to a fishery. It just sucks the life force out of me and drains any enthusiasm to fish whatsoever.

terry m

Reaction score
Follow the rules or find another place to fish. Whilst it sounds a somewhat overzealous rule, it is not, in my opinion, totally unreasonable.

The most offensive part of the rule is the poor spelling.

wetthrough

Reaction score
How are they going to know anyway? The only people likely to know are the ones doing the weighing and even if someone overhears it's not likley they'll blab. If one of the wardens is present then they could report and photograph it themselves. A polite request to photograph and report might be more appropriate IMHO.

gaz40k

Reaction score
I suppose it becomes difficult as the owners want the world to know there's big fish in there to sell more tickets, the people fishing it want to keep it as quiet as possible so there's less competition for pegs and fish.
Maybe they started with a polite request for captures to be publicised and got short shrift?
I can see both sides, as an owner, you want the world to know how good your place is, as an angler, you tend to not want other folk to know your good spots.
Over all, it could of definitely been worded better!

john step

Reaction score
Agreed. Surely you wouldn't have a sign made which contains grammatical errors or by sign makers who don't spot them.

Agreed. Eye fink dere woz anover post some thyme ago on hair about spelins. Innit.:wh

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Agreed. Surely you wouldn't have a sign made which contains grammatical errors or by sign makers who don't spot them.

You'd think so but I used to work in an Itallian restaurant, at least according to the sign above the restaurant.

Reaction score
I think I would like to say that I'll report it to you,IF I can have it set up....I believe they have a f*****g cheek,they rip people off with exorbitant syndicate fees,then want to use the anglers skills to advertise their waters...:rolleyes:

flightliner

Reaction score
You'd think so but I used to work in an Itallian restaurant, at least according to the sign above the restaurant.
Bluey, there's a hairdressers not to faraway with its signage written in Italian saying something like "Beautifull hair".
Whenever my Italian son in law drives past with my daughter they fall about laughing at how incorrect it is.