Float rubbers

Philip

Reaction score
For such an essential item when your fishing a float attached top and bottom we are pretty badly served by the tackle trade I recon.

There are some appalling ones out there ...some so hard that literally they are like a solid bit of plastic that hold their shape when you bend them.

Others come in those tiny packs with assorted sizes but of course you only end up using one or two sizes and the the rest of the pack is left to displace itself all round your tackle box.

Uncut lengths of silicon tube that you chop up yourself is better but again availability of larger diameter sizes is appalling.

I usually end up going for the Drennan rubbers but I wish someone would just market like a mile of silicon tube in realistic sizes for large floats.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've not looked but I bet ebay would have silicon tube by the meter for pennies

Another Dave

Reaction score
I ended up getting the Drennan ones myself after a few disappointments but they're not all that are they? I swear the cheap mixed packs you used to get decades ago were better.

Reaction score
Look on eBay at catapult/slingshot elastic Philip,it can be very cheap especially from China and would be worth your while trying different sizes to find what suits your needs best,hope this helps...

Richox12

Reaction score
I've never found it a problem. All sorts of sizes, diameters, lengths, colours (I don't actually care about the colour) out there and I use Loafer floats which have quite thick tops. The short straight lengths of mixed colours and diameters in the Drennan packets do the job well.

flightliner

Reaction score
I use the Drennan mixed colour pack for float tops but clear silicone tubing for float bottoms.
Two years ago I was in Civittavechia on the west coast of Italy and found a tackle shop on the promenade , a good one too, looking around I chanced on a multi size dispenser of silicon tubing that I bought along with a couple of tubs of linaffe split shot in 8s and 9s at ridiculously low prices .
The dispenser is a great addition to my stick float fishing and since buying mine I've seen one or two now in tackle shops so well worth keeping an eye out for them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have a look at Dave Harrell's online shop. He does some Avon Floats with pretty chunky tips. Naturally, he also sells correspondingly large float rubbers. It also happens to be pretty good quality and there is a good spread of diameters on offer.

Philip

Reaction score
Some good suggestions there fellas. The issue I have found is finding the bigger sizes. Narrow/Thin Silicon is less of a problem but the wider stuff is more difficult. Some of the products on Ebay tend to be very stiff tube in the bigger diameters while catapult elastic is often too thick walled.

Have a look at this stuff on Ebay, I use it on my bollo floats avalable in 0.5mm to 5mm

Clear silicone rig tube 0.5 - 5.0mm ID Food safe high temp - HLS Carp tackle | eBay

That looks worth a shout ...the 5.0mm I may take a punt on.

Thanks all.

Philip

Reaction score
Unless I am missing it on the web site Dave Harrell silicon only seels to go up to 2mm ...the market is well served there...you can get long lengths of 2mm in the Carp sections of tackle shops.

I am after the largest size you get in the Drennan mixed packs to fit over the tops of floats such as the largest Drennen chubber. Not sure of the size ...probably >5mm.

Dalesmans link looks like it might do the trick.

shane99

Reaction score
Some good suggestions there fellas. The issue I have found is finding the bigger sizes. Narrow/Thin Silicon is less of a problem but the wider stuff is more difficult. Some of the products on Ebay tend to be very stiff tube in the bigger diameters while catapult elastic is often too thick walled.

That looks worth a shout ...the 5.0mm I may take a punt on.

Thanks all.

2nd that for loafer floats

The Sogster

Reaction score
Look out for MAP products large silicone tubing. Similar to the Drennan mixed packs but much bigger up to around 8mm.
Although I would also recommend the Dave Harrell stuff.