Only gone & snapped my Acolyte Plus ...

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
I broke off the top four inches of one of my barbel Avon rods a few years ago and got hold of a quiver top section - just kept carefully cutting the broken top section back until I got a tight fit for the new 4oz quiver top section and then glued and whipped it in place - still very usable.
Brand New Drennan Acolyte 13ft Distance Quiver Feeder Tip - All Types Available | eBay

May be worth a go - you are probably going to invest in a new top section anyway and so if you do this you may at least end up with a spare usable top section rather than throwing it in the bin.

Steve

Reaction score
It is however how long it is since bought,once over the year I believe Drennan wash their hands of them,which if there is a year's warranty,that was always going to be the case,I had a Shimano which broke in the same way the first time out and I'd only had it a few weeks,Shimano wouldn't replace it,that was their loss,because no other shimano rod will ever be bought again.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
It is however how long it is since bought,once over the year I believe Drennan wash their hands of them,which if there is a year's warranty,that was always going to be the case,I had a Shimano which broke in the same way the first time out and I'd only had it a few weeks,Shimano wouldn't replace it,that was their loss,because no other shimano rod will ever be bought again.

Seems like we get shafted here. I'm pretty sure in the USA Shimano offer one of the best warranty offers and give a complete no questions asked replacement.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I broke off the top four inches of one of my barbel Avon rods a few years ago and got hold of a quiver top section - just kept carefully cutting the broken top section back until I got a tight fit for the new 4oz quiver top section and then glued and whipped it in place - still very usable.
Brand New Drennan Acolyte 13ft Distance Quiver Feeder Tip - All Types Available | eBay

May be worth a go - you are probably going to invest in a new top section anyway and so if you do this you may at least end up with a spare usable top section rather than throwing it in the bin.

Steve

I have a 13ft Preston carbonactive float rod that I broke the tip off and was going to take to someone to have a new tip spliced onto it and use it as a trotting rod (which is what I was using it for mainly anyway).

I might try what you’ve suggested, although I’m cack-handed when it comes to anything like this

Philip

Reaction score
Just tackling up in the garden, pulling line through the rings from my pin & snap!, in two places at the tip

Also curious why they dont do a 12' plus ? as I am favouring shorter rods these days

Update - Tackle shop not interested, offered to put a top ring on what was left

Perhaps you already have the solution to both your snapped top section and your like for shorter rods.:rolleyes:

Only kidding :)...I snapped a tip section on a favourite rod recently and know how annoying it is to say the least.

shane99

Reaction score
Thanks - good point lads with just putting a top ring on the top section as nothing to lose.

Now I am getting over it I can think a bit straighter about the situation :)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I am committed financially to the Acolyte so have to replace the top section as just cant leave a nearly £200.00 rod broken in the shed.

It will now be a £230-£270 rod by the time I have paid for a new top section :eek:mg:

Although my comment was tongue in cheek the long term way out of this, albeit an expensive one, is:

1: Replace the broken section.
2: Sell the rod
3: Buy a Daiwa, Tricast, Browning...
4: Transport rods in rod bags in a tube and make up on the bank, not already made up in a quiver which may be OK for carp/pike/barbel rods but inadvisable for match rods.

trotter2

Reaction score
Fingers crossed I have been using drennan acolytes for 3 years, I now have 5 of them and never had any breakages.
Considering how many of these has been sold over the last few years I think the amount of rods broken is very small.
What you need to consider is the acolyte rods have outsold any other rod range on the market for the last few years so it is inevitable there is going to be a few breakages along the way.

shane99

Reaction score
Update - The new top section cost £70.00 ! but it was through my local shop so they may have put something on it which is fair enough. Interestingly they put a new top eye on the broken section and I tried it out tonight and I now have an Acolyte 12' Carp Waggler it seems - Happy days as I was looking to get one. My new 12' option actually felt quite powerful which surprised me, felt very good playing hard fighting 2-3lb Tench.

trotter2

Reaction score
Pleased you got sorted even if it did cost a few quid.Enjoy using it ,still puts a smile on my face every time I get to the river and pull it out of the bag .

shane99

Reaction score
Now I am thinking would the ultra top section fit the plus bottom section ? For that extra bit of finese that one fancies from time to time. Using my new shortened version made me realise how much backbone the plus has when the tip isnt being used or there :) I thought it was just a 'normalish' float rod

I could have 3 in one !

shane99

Reaction score
Short answer. No. The Ultra is lower diameter all through the blank. An Ultra tip section doesn't even fit badly to a Plus mid section.

Thanks, did you try it ? - It is a compact so only 2 sections really. It was a bit tounge in cheek post really but the thought was there. I do have a matchpro ultralight if I need to go lighter & wouldnt want to spend another £70.00 on this rod !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks, did you try it ? - It is a compact so only 2 sections really. It was a bit tounge in cheek post really but the thought was there. I do have a matchpro ultralight if I need to go lighter & wouldnt want to spend another £70.00 on this rod !

Yes, I have tried it. However, not with the Compact versions.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Oh well, have to report the demise of my 13 ft Acolyte Ultra. It just sheared apart some ten inches from the bottom end of the middle section. I haven't a clue why. I had just finished threading the tip section and was about to attach it to the middle section when there was a sudden slackness and I looked down to see the butt section was no longer attached to the middle section but not at the joint. No snap or crackle. Silent break. Could not have done it better with the appropriate cutting tool.

image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

I presume spare middle sections can be procured so I will have to get one. I have had this rod at least five years (I bought it from Gerry's of Wimbledon, now out of business). I do not know what happened but have caught a load of fish with the rod.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lakyaman,
I'll be honest and say that it never ceased to amaze me that your Acolyte Ultra lasted more than five minutes given the size of the fish you were catching with it.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Lakyaman,
I'll be honest and say that it never ceased to amaze me that your Acolyte Ultra lasted more than five minutes given the size of the fish you were catching with it.

Quite. It must have got a knock somewhere although it lived in the appropriate Drennan single hard rod sleeve.

Will try to get the middle section. The rod did its job even if it didn't break while playing a fish.

All the best

Lakhyaman.

john step

Reaction score
On its second outing in a friendly match a couple of weeks ago I hooked by accident and landed a frisky 8lb plus common carp on my new 14ft ultra. I kept the rod low and paralleled as it powered off along the bank and played it via the angle to utilise the lower section .
I dont aim to do this too often.