Only gone & snapped my Acolyte Plus ...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't worry John, the 14' Ultras stand up to a lot more than that when you're crucian fishing..................
15.7.jpg

trotter2

Reaction score
Looking at the way the rods broke it would indicate a fault if the rod was new, but because you have had the rod a few years for me it would suggest its had a sharp impact ,clean break.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Oh well, have to report the demise of my 13 ft Acolyte Ultra. It just sheared apart some ten inches from the bottom end of the middle section. I haven't a clue why. I had just finished threading the tip section and was about to attach it to the middle section when there was a sudden slackness and I looked down to see the butt section was no longer attached to the middle section but not at the joint. No snap or crackle. Silent break. Could not have done it better with the appropriate cutting tool.

View attachment 7384
View attachment 7385
View attachment 7386

I presume spare middle sections can be procured so I will have to get one. I have had this rod at least five years (I bought it from Gerry's of Wimbledon, now out of business). I do not know what happened but have caught a load of fish with the rod.

All the best

Lakhyaman

The Tackle box at Dartford can supply spare sections. They obtained a tip section for my Acolyte a couple of weeks ago. I seem to remember from a previous post that you visited them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lakhyaman

Reaction score
The Tackle box at Dartford can supply spare sections. They obtained a tip section for my Acolyte a couple of weeks ago. I seem to remember from a previous post that you visited them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I did visit them. They are at present building a set of carp rods for me on Harisson ballista blanks as recommended by this forum as well as modifying three Drennan 1.5 lb tc twin tip duos for me. They will be my first port of call. Extremely helpful people.

All the best

Lakhyaman

barbelboi

Reaction score
Sounds good. I've never used the balistas but had balista slims (2 3/4 tc) made up by Peregrine many years ago and wouldn't have changed them for anything else in their class. A playing action to die for, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and they will take the heat off your Ultra;)