Only gone & snapped my Acolyte Plus ...

shane99

Reaction score
Read about it, never thought it would happen to me.

Just tackling up in the garden, pulling line through the rings from my pin & snap!, in two places at the tip :eek:
Cant say how far round I was bending the tip as having done this numerous times with numerous rods I wasn't looking.
Any feedback on Drennans approach to replacing or is it my fault ???
I did actually buy it from my local tackle shop (to support them) so will go in Saturday & see when I stand.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your outcome will depend to a degree on the relationship between your tackle shop and Drennan, seems a bit hit and miss from the accounts I have read. I was lucky and got my top section replaced foc.

Not heard of one snapping in two places before.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Strictly speaking it is your own fault and no one else bears any responsibility for replacing the section. It could be, and I hope so for your sake, that Drennan had extra tip sections made up expecting accidents so you may get one, but expect to pay for it.

DEF: Acolyte - an assistant or helper. (Not very helpful on this occasion eh? Sorry.)

davebhoy

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me, but only in one place. They replaced it foc

How long have you had it?

Reaction score
I believe that is the issue,if out of warranty no chance....

flightliner

Reaction score
It's a great shame about the acolytes, pick one up and it's like a feather to hold and handle but so many stories of breakages for little or no apparent reason are offputting.
I'd like one myself but I fear I would possibly end up regretting it.
I wonder why they seem so susceptible, I hear several reasons why , maybe technology needs a little more advancement ?

shane99

Reaction score
I will see what my tackle shop says, its worth asking. I have had it for about 18 months so out of warranty I would think.
I'm wondering now what the cost would be ? - Im not going to make up some story about I was just slightly waggling it ....
Also curious why they dont do a 12' plus ? as I am favouring shorter rods these days

Reaction score
I will see what my tackle shop says, its worth asking. I have had it for about 18 months so out of warranty I would think.
I'm wondering now what the cost would be ? - Im not going to make up some story about I was just slightly waggling it ....
Also curious why they dont do a 12' plus ? as I am favouring shorter rods these days

They probably snap more easily at 12ft,fingers crossed for you mate...

GT56

Reaction score
I can feel your disappointment and can only hope this gets sorted in a favourable way.
I wonder how much use can a fishing rod actually get in 18months and would like to think this could be taken into consideration.

Richox12

Reaction score
I would think in 18 months you must have used it a few times (even 1 time per month is 18) and caught fish on it. So the tip has been bent umpteen times with no problems. So very, very unlikely to be any inherent fault otherwise you wouldn't have been able to use it. For it to be pulled round and snap in 2 places seems, to me, that it was simply pulled around too far or it has been knocked/damaged at some time prior (taken made up ?) and that's the result. Personally I wouldn't expect the shop to do anything other than to order me a new section.

sam vimes

Reaction score

It's a naming thing. For whatever reason, the Carp Waggler models are effectively 11 and 12' Pluses.

bullet

Reaction score
I snapped a section of my matchpro ultralight 3 piece and it was £50 for the new section, so effectively a third of the rod price.

shane99

Reaction score
For it to be pulled round and snap in 2 places seems, to me, that it was simply pulled around too far I wouldn't expect the shop to do anything other than to order me a new section.

you are probably right Richox12, I wasn't looking as I said and it definitely hasn't been knocked, I have to say a bit fragile with no warnings on the packet

I am expecting to to pay cost + for the replacement

Quote GT56 - I can feel your disappointment and can only hope this gets sorted in a favourable way.
I wonder how much use can a fishing rod actually get in 18months and would like to think this could be taken into consideration.

I am a weekend fisherman & have used it about 20-30 times but have always been careful as use a quiver, not the best scenario i realise now - who knows ? but I am agreeing with Richox on this ...

shane99

Reaction score
It's a naming thing. For whatever reason, the Carp Waggler models are effectively 11 and 12' Pluses.

Would like one but the Darent Valley .75lb tc is good enough for what I do. That seems to be my goto rod these days as I only really fish the margins for Perch these days

mikench

Reaction score
The Darent Valley 0.75 tc rod is a cracking rod and a bargain to boot! It's always in my car for those just in case moments and is a pleasure to use. I only mention it because through sheer clumsiness on my part I broke the tip which was replaced for just the cost of the postage. Drennan take note.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
Update - Tackle shop not interested, offered to put a top ring on what was left which was fair enough but :eek:mg: not for me.

I will let you know how much a top section for an Acolyte compact plus will be

shane99

Reaction score
Get yourself something decent from Daiwa, Browning, Tricast....

I am committed financially to the Acolyte so have to replace the top section as just cant leave a nearly £200.00 rod broken in the shed.

It will now be a £230-£270 rod by the time I have paid for a new top section :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
Of coarse you are and most people would do the same. I would definately add another ring to the broken tip and try it out. It may make little difference in practice and could be kept for wet miserable days on snaggy rivers with impenetrable bankside trees and vegetation. If it breaks again not a problem.

Reaction score
This top section broke in two places,I take it these two breaks are close to the tip,otherwise it isn't worth the bother,it would probably break in the middle section then,there is definitely an issue with acolytes,there just had to be and those that have not had one break should consider themselves fortunate,they won't,they will just believe they know how to use a rod,until it happens to them,I've said this before,but fishing rods have to take a bit of abuse,not stupid things,but no angler on this forum hasnt ,after the event thought,'I was lucky there',I broke my tip on my 13ft titan 2000,but I did a stupid thing and deserved the penalty,lesson learnt,but some things you should be able to do,because fish can put you in a similar position,ie if you are bringing a decent fish to the net,you can easily be bending past 90 degrees,then under quite severe pressure it could easily snap,not putting line through the rings,bearing in mind that the plus isn't a light action float rod.