Which License - Coarse or Game?

Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have a license for coarse and non migratory trout (brownies) as I don't fish for salmon and sea trout.

However, If I fly fish a river for brownies, but the river is also prolific for salmon and sea trout (which I am not targeting on my 'trout sized' single handed fly rod) then do I need a full game license?

Just had a doubt.

Matt

Molehill

Reaction score
I think not, if you are fishing with trout gear for brownies in a salmon/seatrout river, it would be up to the baliff (whoever prosecuting) to prove that you were intending to catch salmon. By showing that your gear was definitely not intended for trout.
Also you shouldn't have a damn great dead salmon that you caught earlier stashed in the bushes behind you.

That is my understanding of the law, came up last season in this area on the Towy for if catch and release became mandatory - why buy a migratory licence? The answer is you must not be "trying" to catch migratory fish and that starts with what tackle you use.

I could be wrong!

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's my understanding that as long as you don't take any salmon or sea trout by catch, you are home free. You don't have to get game licence just because there's a chance of catching migratory salmonids.

dalesman

Reaction score
You just need your standard licence. As long as your fishing with suitable fly rods for Brownies and Grayling I.E 3#,4# and 5# and small flies 14s, 16s, 18s.

A lot of lads who fish for the tourist usually fish with rods 7# upwards and switch and double handed rods and double and treble flies. Then a game licence will be required.

If you fishing with the right tackle for brownies/grayling a bailiff should not have a problem.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Turn up with a double-handed 13ft fly rod and someone might take you to task. Otherwise no.

I've been fortunate to fish the Test the past few years for grayling and one of the other guests did catch a salmon. He returned it so no harm done. On the last New Years Eve, I caught a small sea trout from a 'southern river' (note the 'secret squirrel' naming there) and I don't have a salmon licence. Just don't knock one on the head.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On our stretch of the Itchen Salmon are often caught by the trout anglers on single handed fly rods.

As long as they are returned swiftly then there has never been any problem in the 10 years or so that I've been a member, but then the keeper is a smart chap and he has seen all the tricks in his tenure . . . .