Broken rod

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
In all my years of fishing I've never broken a rod until this year

I had a lovely 10.5 ft carp waggler rod and whilst setting up I managed to wack the tip on a tree and broke off about 2 inch off the tip

So my question is - I've carefully cut the tip back to the second ring and then using sand paper smoothed the end - is this the correct thing to do

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
i have found that losing the tip of a rod changes its action drastically. So much so I've binned them.
Try it and see, you might find its ok for you.

rich66

Reaction score
Last time I broke one I removed the tip eye and fixed it to the broken end with some super glue. The action does change though.

Molehill

Reaction score
Yes, glue the tip ring back on but ideally use a soft melt glue (like in a glue gun) if you have any. Cut some slivers of glue off, put the inside the tip ring tube, heat ring tube gently with a lighter, pop ring on end of rod and align. If it is out of line then warm gently again and adjust.
If too much has bust off rod end and the tip is too thick to sand down for the tube you would have to order another ring of larger diameter tube. The old ring should come off the broken tip easily with some heat.

Reaction score
Best thing to do is sell all your carp rods and stop fishing for over stocked ratfish pasties and take up fly fishing for native brown trout on wild rivers.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Tell the truth m'lord. You caught one of the maids with her fingers on your tackle and chastised her by whacking here with your rod - and it broke the tip off. ;)

As the others have said, you should have left the rod at the broken end and got a new tip ring to fit from this site Rod Guides & Tips , they have thousands and explain them.

Sometimes, you might have to reposition the second guide down so the rod behaves a little better, depends how much you knocked off, but 2" shouldn't make an awful lot of difference. I have a 7ft Daiwa Samurai spinning rod that I lost about 1¼" off when it caught a tree branch. it looks a bit off, but still works fine.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
problem is I couldn't find the broken tip - so I did a Boggit and Scarper job - I've not fished with it yet due to lack of confidence

Have a word with Spiders. He’s a bit handy at fixing broken tackle. He offered to fix up a broken quiver rod for me a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Have a word with Spiders. He’s a bit handy at fixing broken tackle. He offered to fix up a broken quiver rod for me a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiders offered to 'fix' a Michell 300 reel for me that was broken until he fiddled with it and bent the bail arm spring.

Lark

Reaction score
Did the same thing to an 11ft pellet waggler rod a few years back. Excitedly taking the top section out of it's rod sleeve for the very first time and 'dinged' it on the ceiling. Snapped off about the same amount as you're indicating.
I dressed the tip back finishing with a very fine wet-and-dry paper. Found a tip ring to fit, quick fix with Araldite and never noticed the difference to be honest.
As Jeff pointed out, it does mess with the ring spacing a bit and the action, marginally, but if you can live with that it's no big deal.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I thing the rod may have broke when the shop blokes were handing it over when I bought it - it was two strange looking brother that kept passing the rod to each other saying "From me to you"