Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What to do on a rainy day (Blue Peter inspired)

Question: is it undignified for a 50 year old angler to use one of these for transport? Asking for a friend.

What to do on a rainy day (Blue Peter inspired)-micro-scooter-black-sprite-sa0026.jpg

No! They are used by all sorts of ages in France! Go on Dave you know you want one and if asked, you are test driving it for your daughters! Make sure it's battery powered though!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    No! They are used by all sorts of ages in France! Go on Dave you know you want one and if asked, you are test driving it for your daughters! Make sure it's battery powered though!
    A battery powered one would be perfect but they are flipping dear.

As are electric bikes! Really fancy one as I find hills more difficult as I get older, but starting at £2k, I’ll just have to keep eating the weetabix.

Laws are soon to change I belive in other countres as motroized scooters are becoming a major pedestrian hazard. ...only on road, designated parking places, wouldnt surprise me if they try and crowbar helmet required which they keep trying for pedal bikes & a whole host of other rules to limit their use.

I imported an electric bike in Nice about 12 years ago to assist in going up hills! In short it was useless and the battery packed up altogether after a few years. Its yours John if you want it but collection only. I seriously suggest you test one on hills as they struggle .

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I imported an electric bike in Nice about 12 years ago to assist in going up hills! In short it was useless and the battery packed up altogether after a few years. Its yours John if you want it but collection only. I seriously suggest you test one on hills as they struggle .
    Thanks Mike, battery technology is making huge leaps forward all the time now, l live on top of a hill, that’s the only hill I would need help with. Another good reason to have a folder allowing me to easily drive and ride, mind you an electric Brompton would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Laws are soon to change I belive in other countres as motroized scooters are becoming a major pedestrian hazard. ...only on road, designated parking places, wouldnt surprise me if they try and crowbar helmet required which they keep trying for pedal bikes & a whole host of other rules to limit their use.
    Unenforceable. They don't appear to have the resources to do anything about the drug dealing in my local park so i hardly think a squad of special cycle path traffic wardens is going to spring up overnight and start checking people's wheels.

I dont think they are envisaging special wardens. They are passing ndw rules to stop people on scooters doing things like shooting along the pavement at speed.

I see it more as a deterrant. The law would be as enforcable or unenforcable as for somone commiting an infraction on a pedal bike.

A point about batteries. I converted a bike to electric around 20 years ago. The problem was the life of the battery which degrades as soon as you start using it

That was a lithium battery and although they have made progress i believe its still basically the same technology today. How you store it also makes a difference. Dont leave it roasting in sun for example.
    A friend of mine purchased a top end electric bike just a couple of weeks ago. I'll be keeping a close eye on how his battery stands up.
    Last edited by Philip; 14-06-2019 at 17:28.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123