Visual aids to a bite

mikench

Reaction score
We all know about floats, tips etc but how often when float fishing does it happen that it isn't the float dipping/moving or rising up that tells you of a bite but the rod tip moving either to left or right or towards the water.

Is the emergence of the elastic from a pole a similar aid? I watched a chap pole fishing for carp spending a fair amount of time plumbing the depth and lowering a pole float into the margin water. The bite was signified not by the float but by the ejection of several feet of red elastic. The float was superfluous.

I am tempted to freeline and just watch either the rod or some slack line.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Freelining with the line lightly pinched between your fingers is a very sensitive and enjoyable way to fish, gives the mincers a rest too!

john step

Reaction score
Mike, not completely understanding what you say about the float movement but certainly I have experience of elastic shooting out as an indication.

When they first stocked a section of the upper Lea with barbel I wanted to trot along gravel runs between long fronds of weed that were out of reach to a 13 foot rod.
I bought a carp pole and used very beefy elastic to control the float along these channels with some success.

Unfortunately any delicate float presentation was completely useless. The bites were so quick and violent that by the time my eyes registered the bite , the elastic was doing a long trip downstream.:eek:mg:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've posted this before - I've had many sessions catching crucians (and sometimes large still water roach) where a finely dotted down float has never moved during the session but have taken many fish by just instinctively lifting at (what was) the right time...............

john step

Reaction score
I've posted this before - I've had many sessions catching crucians (and sometimes large still water roach) where a finely dotted down float has never moved during the session but have taken many fish by just instinctively lifting at (what was) the right time...............

I have noticed this phenomenon. Was it the float moving so slightly it almost appears to change colour or did it send out the tiniest of ripples? Who knows but I sometimes marvel/chuckle at anglers fishing with about 3 inches of float sticking out of the water. I call it the Beachy Head Lighthouse method.:wh