Foul hooking carp in shallow water

daniel121

Reaction score
Fished a snake lake style venue a couple of weeks ago, the far bank was very shallow, exceptionally shallow to be honest just a few inches but it was a hot day and that's where the carp was, if you put the bait too far over you could see there backs coming out!

I was foul hooking the fish badly on a light pole float, Any ideas guys?

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve found fishing four or five inches over depth, and using heavier rigs to anchor the line down, and stop the action of the carps fins wafting the hook length about, helps to stop foul hooking, not completely but a lot better.

Reaction score
Be very sparing with feed,half a dozen pellets tops,make them have it,feed after putting in,but ensure your hook bait has hit the deck before you do,if you can, wait for the elastic to pull before lifting the pole...

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies helpful as always.

So in answer to Peter, yes I did put the feed on first but via a big pot I figured having all the bait on the bottom would help but.. No

Seth and whitty thanks for your input, I'm going to try a liitle of both of your advice. I was using a small dibber float very light (only 2 x no 8) I'm going to switch to a wire stemed float with a hollow plastic tip and 6 or so no 8 to fix it to the bottom.

Let's see how I go, if nothing else it will give me some pottering time in the shed making the floats :D

Last edited: