Line Twist

mark_t

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had an issue with line twist recently so was going to use a line doctor from Gardner, what I want to know is when you get line twist is it always twisted in the same direction?

John Keane

Reaction score
It should always twist in the same direction as all reels wind in the same direction (unless you are using vintage Mitchell 300’s.) You usually get line twist when legering with light Method feeders, or lob worms that act like a propellor.

The Gardner Spin Doctor is great, but buy the yellow one as the red one is a bit on the heavy side. I find myself using one around every 10 trips or so.

Reaction score
You don't mention what methods,or tackle your using,which can be very relevant,Drennan reels have major issues with line twist,as I and a few others on FM have found to their cost...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of todays modern reels have little problem with line twist, but when you do experience it then a few minutes casting with a Spin Doctor on the line soon solves it .. . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
With a f/s reel every turn of the handle puts twist into the line as it is constantly being turned through 90 degrees as the arm rotates. Bale arm rollers will/should help but won’t solve usually the problem completely (some reels are better than others). That twist does not disappear when cast out and is added to again when you reel in. There are other factors which exacerbate the problem such as playing a fish off the drag, rotating lures, baitrunner facilities etc. As stated get a Gardner spin doctor to temporarily eradicate twist – that is the best you can do (although a pebble in some funnel web tied to the end of the line will suffice in and emergency – just cast out, wait for it to dissolve and reel in the line). These spin doctors deliberately impart twist in the opposite direction to the bale arm although it will eventually start to build up again (especially if continually casting at distance).

mark_t

Reaction score
I think some of the twist was there when I put the line on the reel, I have tried walking the line out and winding back, this has helped a bit, the line near the end seems better but with about 60 yards of line out the twist is terrible, i might have to replace the line :eek:mg:

Richox12

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to matter what reel and how cheap or how expensive it is. Fixed spool reels impart some twist when winding in and the reverse happens when you cast out. I've had it with Shimano's TDR's TDM's Ninjas etc. The faster you wind in and the heavier your rig the more twist will be created and kept. Swing in a feeder after its retrieve and watch it spin. The twist caused by winding in has been pushed down to the feeder and is trying to get out but the feeder is too heavy for the line to move in the water hence it spins so much when out. A float on the other hand is much lighter and a lot of the twist can be pushed out.

Reaction score
Not with a drennan fd reel it doesn't terrible problems I had and several others that had them,yet the reel was perfect other than that.

Molehill

Reaction score
I find line twist always occurs to some degree, but amount depends on tackle, fishing style and fish played on the clutch. I have never avoided it 100%, but can do things to minimise it. Like a swivel or pausing when wound in to let the terminal tackle unspin.
I have not used any of the gadgets, but before starting to fish or adding terminal tackle, I put the rod in a rest and walk XX metres of line out on the bank, close the bail arm and physically walk along the line untwisting it - running the twists out the end of the line.
It seems laborious but only takes 5 minutes but it works and I start the day happy!