Meat as a bait

Reaction score
Not when your fishing for roach and crucians Rob,it's a little and often bite a chuck method when it gets going,very effective...

theartist

Reaction score
Not when your fishing for roach and crucians Rob,it's a little and often bite a chuck method when it gets going,very effective...

Not just Cru's Alan it's all the species but on rivers it just tends to be whacked out there on a lead and left to it's own devices

Molehill

Reaction score
A slice (along with other ingredients!) in the frying pan for breakfast before I leave the camper to fish, can't resist it, if I was a barbel I would be caught every day :)

And another culinary invention from this week in the camper going barbel fishing, having purchased Chinese stir fry veg, noodles and sauce I added some diced ( not through the Map meat cutter!) Spam to the wok.
A culinary delight and guess what I used the rest of the tin for?

Lark

Reaction score
I was in our local Co-op the other evening and couldn't believe my luck when I saw that they had Tulip Bacon Grill for £1.19 a tin..... So I did a bit of stock-transferring to my own 'bait-warehouse' ready for my chub and barbel sessions. Best meat I've ever used in my, very humble, opinion.
It colours and flavours really well, is firm to start off with but even better when lightly fried with either Worcester Sauce or a dusting of Oxo cube/paprika/Cayenne/Piri-Piri/garlic powder.

Reaction score
Tesco sells tulip luncheon meat for a pound a tin and I agree it's great bait...

d.owens

Reaction score
I've been using Plumrose Bacon Grill from BM, diced up in various sizes and sealed in in a freezer bag with curry powder. Have only used it on still waters so far, have caught carp, roach, tench and perch with it. I incorporate very small cubes in my groundbait then use it on the hook if the going is hard or bites dry up. I find it stays on the hook well and will experiment with other flavourings soon.

mikench

Reaction score
I have struggled with meat in recent weeks on a few waters which may not have had much experience of it. Today was no exception and there was no interest whatsoever.

theartist

Reaction score
I have struggled with meat in recent weeks on a few waters which may not have had much experience of it. Today was no exception and there was no interest whatsoever.

Probably the heat Mike, if it's a stillwater everything's in the upper layers, I've got two tins of Plumrose that are sitting in the shed Itching to get out, if I can only ween myself away from those darn pellets :D

Lark

Reaction score
Probably the heat Mike, if it's a stillwater everything's in the upper layers.
I don't normally start using meat on rivers until late summer/early autumn and then through the winter.
On one of my local commercials, however, using 4/5mm cubes of meat, fed like 6mm pellets, with the pellet waggler usually works a dream. The carp in most of these waters will go for most things presented in a half decently enticing manner, whereas my real target is the clonking great roach that hardly anyone fishes for. Eventually they'll come up to the 24"/30" depth and will beat the carp to it every time once you've got them interested.

theartist

Reaction score
I don't normally start using meat on rivers until late summer/early autumn and then through the winter.
On one of my local commercials, however, using 4/5mm cubes of meat, fed like 6mm pellets, with the pellet waggler usually works a dream. The carp in most of these waters will go for most things presented in a half decently enticing manner, whereas my real target is the clonking great roach that hardly anyone fishes for. Eventually they'll come up to the 24"/30" depth and will beat the carp to it every time once you've got them interested.

Clonking roach are the masters at beating bigger fish in the upper layers to bait ;)