Putting up a brolly

mikench

Reaction score
This may sound like an idiotic question but I cannot find a way to erect either of my brollies in just a vertical position so that my gear, the chair and me are equally covered. The flat back isn't a problem when set at an angle with the back pinned down but it's restrictive and I have a cheap brolly which I erect vertically to protect from the rain when there is little wind. I have a bracket for the chair but there is always loads of cover at one side and the rear but less in front and the other side. If I move the bracket to the other side the situation is the same but reversed .

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Reaction score
I have a korum brolly ,which unscrews,then screws back into the centre pole near the apex,this creates a hell of a lot more coverage,it can be a pain to set up in the wind,but once done your snug as a rug.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, the only solution would appear to be a shelter as opposed to a conventional brolly.

I have a Korum day shelter that gives good cover for everything.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have one of the Gardner solid brolly poles which is easy to screw into the ground. You can then centalise your brolly behind you without using the brackets on your chair. ( providing you aren't on a platform)

Gardner Brolly Pole

john step

Reaction score
I have one of the Gardner solid brolly poles which is easy to screw into the ground. You can then centalise your brolly behind you without using the brackets on your chair. ( providing you aren't on a platform)

Gardner Brolly Pole

I do the same with my Gardener spike thing. For those unfamiliar with them, they take the place of the umbrella spike and are much more stable as you screw them in with a tommy bar. I also have a long piece of rope which I peg down, just in case a sudden gust makes it airborne.
I position the brolly spike just by my right side by the back of the chair and gather everything in to keep it dry. Presumably left handers would screw it in the other side.
Some stuff can be poked under the chair.

bracket

Reaction score
I have three umbrellas, each of which I am lothed to use. I will only use them to keep my bait dry and do this by clamping the centre pole into two arms I have clamped to my OnBox. This works OK, but needs staking down in case of a gust of wind. Never use one when fishing the River. Pete.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Gardner Brolly Pole

The Gardner poles are first rate, so much better than the hollow alloy poles most brollies come with. That said I know a couple of places not even the Gardner can cope with but its amazing what you can do with a couple of bungee cords and a trolley/ barrow in a downpour.

Philip

Reaction score
Best solution of all...do as I do and dont fish when it rains.

Failing that what I sometimes did was poke the spike of the umbrella down the gap between the seat frame and seat fabric. This made the center pole of the brolly sit more centrally over me. The trade off is you have a brolly pole sharing the edge of the seat with you.

Second option get a brolly without a center pole and fix it with 2 rod rests at each end. Loads of space under it and you can sit slap bang in the middle.

rich66

Reaction score
I tend to fix my brolly to the left just behind my chair. That way I stay dry and my bait and kit which I set up on the left does too. Space behind for stink bags rod bag etc etc.
It’s took me a few years of being dropped on to work it out, but seems to work for me.
My legs sometimes get wet when I sit with them stretched out

Reaction score
Having read about the Gardner pole,having worked with metal all my life I got peed off with poles bending in extreme conditions(and having to straighten them),so I found a length of hard grade aluminium tube with a wall thickness of 1.6mm,it was a tight fit so was tapped in with a rubber mallet until it bottomed out,then cut with a hacksaw,this cured the problem and maintained the relative lightness of aluminium.

Richox12

Reaction score
Bigger umbrella ?? Don't fit the umbrella to the chair as that is restrictive. Stick the umbrella into the ground exactly where and how high you want it.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks all! In truth in poor weather I feeder fish and put up the flat back brolly or the tempest. Some venues have tarmac / concrete or gravel pegs which make it almost impossible to use the spike. I bought a Matrix brolly adaptor for these conditions and when rain is falling vertically but it has to be on one side of the chair or the other. I just hoped there was a method to make the brolly in the middle of my chair. I'll cope!:)

John Keane

Reaction score
I use a trolley and take my chair AND a Shakey Beta Box with all my gear in. The Shakey Beta Box is fitted with Octoplus and onto one of the legs is fixed a brolly bracket. When it rains the brolly goes vertically in the bracket and the box is then moved to exactly where the brolly affords me maximum shelter. There’s enough weight in the Shakey box to anchor the umbrella and, if the wind gets up, I just lean on the box with my elbow and if that isn’t sufficient I get off the chair and sit on the box.

Ingenious, eh?