Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting up a brolly

This may sound like an idiotic question but I cannot find a way to erect either of my brollies in just a vertical position so that my gear, the chair and me are equally covered. The flat back isn't a problem when set at an angle with the back pinned down but it's restrictive and I have a cheap brolly which I erect vertically to protect from the rain when there is little wind. I have a bracket for the chair but there is always loads of cover at one side and the rear but less in front and the other side. If I move the bracket to the other side the situation is the same but reversed .

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by mikench; 20-06-2019 at 18:22.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Putting up a brolly

I have a korum brolly ,which unscrews,then screws back into the centre pole near the apex,this creates a hell of a lot more coverage,it can be a pain to set up in the wind,but once done your snug as a rug.

Blog Entries

Mike, the only solution would appear to be a shelter as opposed to a conventional brolly.

I have a Korum day shelter that gives good cover for everything.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 20-06-2019 at 18:31.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I have one of the Gardner solid brolly poles which is easy to screw into the ground. You can then centalise your brolly behind you without using the brackets on your chair. ( providing you aren't on a platform)

Gardner Brolly Pole

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    I have one of the Gardner solid brolly poles which is easy to screw into the ground. You can then centalise your brolly behind you without using the brackets on your chair. ( providing you aren't on a platform)

Gardner Brolly Pole
    I do the same with my Gardener spike thing. For those unfamiliar with them, they take the place of the umbrella spike and are much more stable as you screw them in with a tommy bar. I also have a long piece of rope which I peg down, just in case a sudden gust makes it airborne.
    I position the brolly spike just by my right side by the back of the chair and gather everything in to keep it dry. Presumably left handers would screw it in the other side.
    Some stuff can be poked under the chair.

I have three umbrellas, each of which I am lothed to use. I will only use them to keep my bait dry and do this by clamping the centre pole into two arms I have clamped to my OnBox. This works OK, but needs staking down in case of a gust of wind. Never use one when fishing the River. Pete.
    Casternets

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post

Gardner Brolly Pole
    The Gardner poles are first rate, so much better than the hollow alloy poles most brollies come with. That said I know a couple of places not even the Gardner can cope with but its amazing what you can do with a couple of bungee cords and a trolley/ barrow in a downpour.

Best solution of all...do as I do and dont fish when it rains.

Failing that what I sometimes did was poke the spike of the umbrella down the gap between the seat frame and seat fabric. This made the center pole of the brolly sit more centrally over me. The trade off is you have a brolly pole sharing the edge of the seat with you.

Second option get a brolly without a center pole and fix it with 2 rod rests at each end. Loads of space under it and you can sit slap bang in the middle.

I tend to fix my brolly to the left just behind my chair. That way I stay dry and my bait and kit which I set up on the left does too. Space behind for stink bags rod bag etc etc.
    It’s took me a few years of being dropped on to work it out, but seems to work for me.
    My legs sometimes get wet when I sit with them stretched out Putting up a brolly

Blog Entries

Having read about the Gardner pole,having worked with metal all my life I got peed off with poles bending in extreme conditions(and having to straighten them),so I found a length of hard grade aluminium tube with a wall thickness of 1.6mm,it was a tight fit so was tapped in with a rubber mallet until it bottomed out,then cut with a hacksaw,this cured the problem and maintained the relative lightness of aluminium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast