How to fish a canal

rich66

Reaction score
I tend to fish white maggots loose fed 10 or so every minute, far side of the channel.

Groundbait will consist of a mix of 50% brown crumb, 25% of Dynamite Frenzied Hempseed 25% Silver X Roach.
3lb line with a drennan glotip waggler and a size 20 hook on 1 1/2lb hook length.

I’ll feed far and close margins too, just in case.

Usually gives me a good days pleasure fishing.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
found this excellent ( apart from the slow mo bits set to music ) and very informative video

YouTube

bennygesserit

Reaction score
So the plan is

groundbait golfball sized
2 to each swim until the swim fishes out
Bread punch
groundbait designed to make it to the bottom
fish the far side of the track and the near side - if that is the v shape in the middle
fish just off bottom for roach
just lay on a couple of inches for bream
prolly a 4 mill bread punch
feed sapringly but accurately
dont fish the far margin unless I take worms and maggots

rich66

Reaction score
Depending on how they are feeding and what size fish you are after you could use a bigger punch size. I often use a small meat punch for bread. See how it pans out benny, if it feels right do it and if when you get there it’s not change it about a bit.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
You may find liquidised bread works better than GB?
Or, try bread punch first without feeding anything...

Pete is the intention with the LB to get a cloud that slowly sinks or to form a carpet on the bottom

I thought the GB balls would pin them to the desk better

but having seen what you catch regularly out of canals on the HDYGO I bow to your greater skills OBI WAN

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I find GB can often be the kiss of death on a canal, I don't know why. I am always very cautious if I do use it. I find the cloud effect of liquy works best when using punch. Balls of GB are prone to roll down the sloping contours and end up down the middle, nowhere near where you think they are..

theartist

Reaction score
I find GB can often be the kiss of death on a canal, I don't know why. I am always very cautious if I do use it. I find the cloud effect of liquy works best when using punch. Balls of GB are prone to roll down the sloping contours and end up down the middle, nowhere near where you think they are..

Or stirred by the boats and end up in the next cut

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Well I tried it a couple of days ago - wind didn't help
PC flicking around with a whip and bread punch before feeding produced the fish of the day - a lovely roach !
when I did feed the licky , on a gin clear canal ( wished it was gin ) the tow seemed to spread it over at least 3 foot plus
I didn't think it was towing ( sees little traffic ) but it was so clear I could see it spreading

deffo some of the crumbs were too big

lots of small fish in the margins and it was clear enough to watch them feed
threw a clump of licky in

there were lots of thumbnail sized fry thet just swam right into it
Lots of thumb sized ( roach ? ) that attacked the bait as it went down but they looked like frightened burglars ie they swam in , picked up a bit , then immediately legged it

the stuff that was left on the bottom took about 10 minutes to clear with slightly larger fish taking it

Whether the behaviour of tiny fish extrapolates to what happens with the bigger stamp of fish I dont know
but It was more fun than fishing

Maybe I am just a s***t angler :) I am usually good ( if not great ) at most things :)