Quick-change connection?

John Keane

Reaction score
Oh John, you'll get into a bit of an argument with that comment. First of there are claims that **** Walker didn't invent it at all and to be honest, I've never found any reference in his writings that mention he did or claimed that, I could be wrong though. In the USA it is known as the Uni Knot and may well have originated there, the grinner term may well be Walker's and is said to be named after his nephew (citation req'd?) who was always grinning.

That's by the by, it can be used for tying two lines together and Walker did swear by that, but it's primary purpose is to tie the hook on. As I understand. With practice you can tie it in pitch blackness.

The one that ties the hook on is still called a Half Grinner though. My take is that the Yanks took the Half Grinner Knot and named it the Uni Knot.

trotter2

Reaction score
Well I did know it was a grinder knot of some discription, as for a half grinner must confess never heard of it.
In reality its probably a knot a lot of people have invented themselves messing about with some bits of line. And never seen it before. Let's face it its not rocket science. Sooner or later your going to work a similar knot out without much outside intervention. Making claims someone was first is a bit OTT in my opinion.

John Keane

Reaction score
Well I did know it was a grinder knot of some discription, as for a half grinner must confess never heard of it.
In reality its probably a knot a lot of people have invented themselves messing about with some bits of line. And never seen it before. Let's face it its not rocket science. Sooner or later your going to work a similar knot out without much outside intervention. Making claims someone was first is a bit OTT in my opinion.

It’s widely accepted that **** Walker invented the knot and coined the name “Grinner Knot”

Bit of angling history never goes amiss.

Philip

Reaction score
I believe there are some big differences in strength and reliability between different knots for hooks, swivels etc. But I can say I've yet to have a breakage on a loop knot or loop to loop connection in a lifetime's fishing.

Yes thats the point ....loop knots are not as strong as some other knots out there.

However its all relative. If your using strong tackle then weaker knots wont be as big an issue as the overall tackle strength makes up for any loss in knot strength.
If people are happy and confident using loops then nothing wrong with that..even anglers like Terry Hearn fishing for a handful of bites a year used them.

However there is nothing to lose from at least being aware there are stronger options available.

trotter2

Reaction score
It’s widely accepted that **** Walker invented the knot and coined the name “Grinner Knot”

Bit of angling history never goes amiss.

Check your history it's wrong.
My great great granny tied a knot just like it and probably yours as well.
By the way Walker was a nasty piece of work check that in your history lessons.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Wikipedia - American site, often containing inaccuracies due to the nature of how it is contributed to.

Clearly describes the knot published in book format in 1944 (I bet even then it was an old well known method of joining two lenghts of rope or forming a loop.
Walker published the grinner knot in the 60 and 70s what part dont you understand ?

John Keane

Reaction score
Clearly describes the knot published in book format in 1944 (I bet even then it was an old well known method of joining two lenghts of rope or forming a loop.
Walker published the grinner knot in the 60 and 70s what part dont you understand ?

Well, not the part where you are so easily wound up! :wh

Richox12

Reaction score
I believe there are some big differences in strength and reliability between different knots for hooks, swivels etc.

Correct. And...............the eye shape of a swivel makes a noticeable difference. A Diamond eye pinches the line whereas a round eye doesn't.

Reaction score
When I float fish i use loop to loop to attach hook lengths,this year I've landed catfish to 30-8,carp 25 on 4lb line,float fishing for roach,as I say I don't play around with them and push the tackle to the limit,I have lost two cats this year,one cut me off on zebra mussels two feet above the loop,the other came off,so I think many knots fail due to bad thing methods,that's not to say loops aren't weaker than grinners,palomars etc,personally I like the way my barbel set up works and have been for a time now,everyone to their own though.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Well, not the part where you are so easily wound up! :wh

Lesson is John don't try and be clever on a public forum there is people on here who probably know a hell of a lot more than you. Respect that and except when your wrong. I was not the only person to pull you up on it look back and read it again.
Finished I am moving on.

John Keane

Reaction score
Lesson is John don't try and be clever on a public forum there is people on here who probably know a hell of a lot more than you. Respect that and except when your wrong. I was not the only person to pull you up on it look back and read it again.
Finished I am moving on.

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!

John Keane

Reaction score
I hesitate to recommend anything technical to you Kev but for normal float fishing I tie on a cralusso quick change swivel so I can alter my hook lengths and size and type of hook. I may have misunderstood you but these work well and the weight wouldn't be a factor for you.

cralusso quick change swivel - Google Search

Being an open-minded sort of chap I had a look at these connectors and noticed that the Drennan ones that chrissh has mentioned are identical to the Cralusso. As my local tackle dealer stocks Drennan, I bought some and tried them out and they ARE BETTER than the Guru ones in that they seem more foolproof. So I’m switching to them for fishing a running lead and also with Method & Pellet Feeders. Obviously tied on with **** Walker’s Half Grinner Knot. :wh

mikench

Reaction score
I'm sure they are John. You can buy similar of the bay from china but they are of poor quality. I'm sure that there is little in price between the Drennan and the Cralusso. I use them all the time for a change of hooklength / hook( plain, banded , hair rig size /bait. Good luck with them!

rayner

Reaction score
I've always advocated using Guru speed beads, after seeing the Drennan connector shown by chrissh I'm switching to Drennan.

John Keane

Reaction score
I've always advocated using Guru speed beads, after seeing the Drennan connector shown by chrissh I'm switching to Drennan.

Could be a case for the Drennan connector fitted into the Guru Speed Bead housing as a buffer bead if fishing a running leger? Then you’d re-cycle part of your Guru stock.

Reaction score
Prefer the enterprise buffer beads,more rubberwy(deliberate).

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds stupid, Philip, (and my apologies if you have covered this topic elsewhere) but I have started to use float stops quite extensively when link legering. Please will you expand on what you feel is safe usage of the stops, and what isn't, please?

I would always prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thank you.