Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do short rods give less control over a hooked fish

As per my title, do people think short rods give less control over a hooked fish.?

Case in point I hooked a small common carp (around 3lb) on my 9’ ledger rod last night. It managed to do nearly a full circuit of my swim ploughed itself through my float and tangled all that tackle to itself. Pretty sure if I’d have caught it on my lighter float set up with a 13’ rod I would have had more control.

Default Re: Do short rods give less control over a hooked fish

This has been a long-standing debate, with devotees on both sides. Famously, Dick Walker favoured rods no longer than 10' for controlling bigger fish, whilst his old friend Peter Stone preferred rods of 11'-12', even for pike fishing - a view that was unusual at that time. Even though both had convincing arguments for their respective points of view, neither ever persuaded the other that they were correct!

Blog Entries

In my opinion; especially at mid to close range and with larger fish; the ability to increase the angle and amount of side strain very quickly to keep it away from snags, plus more overhead control as the fish comes closer amongst near bank snags makes a 12ft plus rod a real asset over a shorter rod for me.

(Plus all the extra advantages that a longer rod sometimes gives me when I'm trotting floats on moving waters.)

Theres a lot more to bringing a big fish in than just applying brute force and winching it in otherwise a short rod would easily suffice me. Pure winching power isn’t what I need in a rod on the waters that I fish.

The only time I prefer a shorter rod is when Im fishing a tight swim with overhanging branches so that I can cast and not get caught up in undergrowth when I’m casting and when I’m playing a fish, but even then a short stiff broomstick is the last thing that I would want.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 25-06-2019 at 14:23.

I think general principles of leverage mean you can exert more force on a fish with a shorter rod. Not radically short but I’ve always preferred 11ft rods to 12ft for barbel, pike, etc.

Blog Entries

With the advent of the ever-popular Carp commercial match fisheries manufaturers, like Preston, brought out the shorter, 9' and 10' model rods that have been very successful for handling larger fish.

Personally, I think the more important criteria is the action of the rod rather than its length . . . . . although I'd agree generally on the point that JK makes above.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 25-06-2019 at 09:51.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I am undecided about length of rod for control but I do favour longer rods for pike on the places I fish as there has been a lack of maintenance to the banks and margins on most drains/rivers hereabouts and the longer rod is better to reach over reads and brambles.

Blog Entries

Imo for big fish an 11ft rod gives more control,on the float I prefer 12ft if possible for the same reason,in the op's case I've always found having a float rod out whilst having a lead out(basic sleeper rod)leaves you in a situation where your not in control quick enough after hooking,then the fish can go crazy,thus I'm a one for man.

As someone who regularly uses a short (9ft) rod for stalking carp, and spinning for pike, in my experience you can give more direct heft with a shorter rod, but have much more control with a longer rod. Longer rods are also a much better option overall if you're using a centrepin - catching carp close-in with a short rod and centrepin is GREAT fun, but you do risk overplaying larger fish.

Apologies for throwing centrepins into the mix...

Is there one answer to this question? I think it depends what fish and where you're fishing. On a water with all the bankside features of a swimming pool, I can see why commie carp anglers favour short rods. But I use a long rod -12' - on one of the smallest rivers I fish as the chub will bury themselves in near bank snags if you can't hold them away. And two species can share the same swim and fight very differently. In snaggy or overgrown big-river swims, I'd happily use a short rod for barbel, which are strong and test your tackle, but will swim obligingly past or away from snags. But if you hook a decent chub, you'll wish it was longer as you're trying to keep it off your own bank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast