Would you drink the water?

theartist

Reaction score
Picture the scenario, Its a day trip and you've driven three hours to get to your favourite river then walked for another half an hour in waders to find your fav swim looking gorgeous. You set up and start catching, It's hot so you stop for a drink and your water isn't there. You're proper dehydrated and the nearest shop is twenty mins drive back up the lanes plus the long walk back to the car.

Would you drink the river water/Or have you ever done so?

valetudoguy

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't.... Unless I had a survival filter straw and I was confident of no chemicals in the watercourse.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Way back in the early 70s I was fishing with a mate on a very clear river Frome on a very hot October day and he decided to drink some river water as he was so thirsty. He was sick all night....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understand the lack of willingness to drink water from the river but here’s the dilemma, if you are already “proper dehydrated” with the prospect of another long walk in waders followed by a car ride in hot weather there has to be a strong possibility of passing out or becoming delirious if no water is taken onboard.

Reaction score
Would have set off straight away,can't sit all day without fluid,grub yes,drink,no chance.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Maybe these are the answer-
Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets
QTY: Chlorine dioxide kills bacteria, viruses and cysts in water including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. These water purifying tablets are the safest and most effective form of chemical water disinfection and unlike chlorine, have no noticeable aftertaste.

Just through a googling as I knew I heard of water purification tablets for campers hikers etc. Keeping a couple in your tackle bag, why not but then there is the question of something to put your water in, a paper cup might be useful as well.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
No way. The question of taking spares hidden in your car has cropped up before on FM. As well as the usual spare rod rest/landing net head/tin of meat I always have a couple of bottles of water secreted.

Edited.... are you going to say you have just done that and taken a swig?

Philip

Reaction score
No not worth it.

I have done it but your asking for trouble.

The bad one

Reaction score
Yes after boiling it for 2 minutes + If it's heavily chemically laded the aquatic fauna and fish would start to die. If nothing can be seen dead, dying then a litre or so of water with chemic in it isn't going to do you much harm. And boiling for 2 mins plus will kill off all the nasties that will give you the spews, sh1ts, and the like. The only known organism that can withstand boiling, disinfecting are water bears and you will have drunk many millions of them over your lifetime via the public supply.

Threads like this make me smile if you live in places like the east, southeast and the north to some extent. Water extraction takes place from the rivers like the Thames, Nene, Gt. Ouse etc whilst the nasties are dealt with in the public supply many of the Chemicals from the farming, industry aren't because they can't in many cases take them out.
Bottled water is no different either, so don't say oh me and my family only have bottled. If anything Bottled is and will get worse due to the contaminants leaching through the rock strata and into the aquifers its drawn off through out dirty habits of treating the earth and land as a tip for every man-made unwanted chemicals and waste we have little or no use for.
So all the regulators can do is set what they believe is a safe drinking leave of chemicals in each litre. So yes you're already drink the chemicals you are concerned about.

The North is slight different as it's rain water is stored in surface reservoirs. But the water droplets that fall, collect airborne pollutants as they form in the clouds. So again we drink that water up here in the North.
We are also still drinking some radioactive materials from the Chernobyl explosion that are still being released from the upland soils by rainwater, which have longer half lives, several hundred years, than the initial materials the furore was about.

mikench

Reaction score
I have often been amused by a bottle of water from some ancient source( Peckham Spring) , bottled at source , with a best before date.

Reaction score
Sorry OP,but I'm having this argument with my 16 year old at the moment,who thinks we should buy him packs of bottled water,keep telling him that tap water isn't worsening his teenage zits(he believes it is)and that if he has a cup of tea,coffee,or a glass of squash it's tap water,as is any water used in cooking....

mikench

Reaction score
You are up early Alan. I'm just off to meet up with Wetthrough for a days fishing.

Reaction score
Enjoy guys,I woke for a pee,then sat there tossing and turning,so got up before I disturbed her nextdoor...