My reel keeps falling off!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Given the state of my heart, a hearty thanks for the advice on how to prevent sudden rushes of blood, very thoughtful; I will forward the advice to the cardiac dept at the hospital; bet they never thought of that although I am sure they put bromide in the tea!
I will look for some inner tube, looks like it will do the trick and easy enough to do barring mugging the local teenagers although a nice thought.
Thanks everyone for all the offers and advice.

:)

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark I forgot to say I keep at least 10 innertube rings on each butt of every rod I've got. Innertube rings are so versatile I use them for all sort of fishing related jobs.
Holding 2 sections of rods together before they get put away in the rod sleeves.
As a casting stop for correct distance in place of the line clip on your reel. Line will come from under it if a fish runs hard unlike the line clip.
Keeping boxes closed if/when the catch goes on them. Motor bike tubes, which any motorbike shop will give you if ask them for it, for large tackle boxes.
Any job where you'd use elastic bands in fishing or home can be done with an innertube band and it will last years without perishing, unlike elastic bands.
I believe you can keep a wad of money safe with a tube band around it. But I wouldn't know about that as I never have any money to test it :eek:
It's stretchability is fantastic going up to 4-5 times the diameter of the original ring.

Really can't praise bike innertube enough for jobs in angling.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks bad one-most of those jobs I come across myself so will definitely acquire some, avoiding a trail of mangled teenagers, tempting though; and your right about elastic bands , they perish.
I have made a temporary innovation until then. I cut the elastic tops of a pair of socks because they were too tight (not good on the circulation) and three folded them and just managed to roll up the rod handle, not pretty but works a treat, tried the reel on, one roll each side of the reel seats and rolled up against them tight and its solid, shouldn't fall off now. Where there's a will ....as they say.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Thanks bad one-most of those jobs I come across myself so will definitely acquire some, avoiding a trail of mangled teenagers, tempting though; and your right about elastic bands , they perish.
I have made a temporary innovation until then. I cut the elastic tops of a pair of socks because they were too tight (not good on the circulation) and three folded them and just managed to roll up the rod handle, not pretty but works a treat, tried the reel on, one roll each side of the reel seats and rolled up against them tight and its solid, shouldn't fall off now. Where there's a will ....as they say.

A pair of those girls’ little hairbands, doubled, would be neater. You can get them in black or make a fashion statement in lime green!

The bad one

Reaction score
A pair of those girls’ little hairbands, doubled, would be neater. You can get them in black or make a fashion statement in lime green!
I'd just nick them off the two girl grandkids......come here I'll do your hair for you girls :eek:

John Keane

Reaction score

Can’t help thinking that you got loads of advice on simple, and some elegant, ways of solving your problem and you cut up a pair of socks and made your rod look ridiculous. Takes all sorts I suppose?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Can’t help thinking that you got loads of advice on simple, and some elegant, ways of solving your problem and you cut up a pair of socks and made your rod look ridiculous. Takes all sorts I suppose?

It's temporary (and I did say that) in case I go fishing before I put a proper solution to the job, and I did not cut up a pair of socks to do this (which I also said). However; if the rod looks ridiculous does not bother me much, if it does the job it does the job which it does, tried it and it wedges the reel tight which is all I need..It looks more ridiculous when the reel falls off. Just a bit of temporary improvisation with what was on hand. I have several spare "useless elastic bands" as I have cut several socks up due to a circulation problem.

Last edited:

sis the roach

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my shimarno xxx rod which is all cork on the handle what I do is roll inner tube over the handle and on to the reel seat the inner tube will rollover its self in to a ball then put your reel on the handle and unroll the tube

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my shimarno xxx rod which is all cork on the handle what I do is roll inner tube over the handle and on to the reel seat the inner tube will rollover its self in to a ball then put your reel on the handle and unroll the tube

It works well as I found out and I can take the reel off which I need to do. I didnt want to permanately strap the reel on or do a lot of work on the rod, its a cheap rod. I fished the other day and the reel did not fall off so, thanks all for helping me solve the problem.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You can try some plumbers self-bonding silicone tape that sticks to itself and the tighter you wind it on, the more it sticks. I bought some long ago, but I forget from where. Here's some I think is the same -
Rubber Bonding Waterproof Tape Self-adhesive Home Repairs Fusing Wire Black F T | eBay

I knew a bloke once I used to fish with who used to tape extra rings on his telescopic rod when he went beach fishing. And then he took them off again when he had finished to fold the rod up. I could never make sense of it but he was -----!
Thanks Jeff but I have solved the problem for me in a way that suits my criteria.